We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

I appreciate a lot of people ask this particular question but

planning to visit Budapest for for first time for 4 nights in March 2013. Have previously visited Krakow 3 times and realise Budapest is a lot larger and spread out into Districts but hoping that eating out etc is in similar price range.

Have been researching hotels and would like a nice 4* or 5* hotel for around £60 per night including breakfast which is accessible to both Buda and Pest side. We enjoy wondering around and the hop on hop off bus option sounds good.

Initially was interested in Palazzo Zichy due to it TA ranking which is within my budget but concerned that it's a bit far out and may not be suitable for a 4 day visit.

Have found an alternative good deal for the Marriott which is within my price range and after some helpful feedback from other TA reviewers believe it to more central. I just expected Marriott to have higher ranking on TA. K&K Opera looked interesting but is coming in above our budget.

Would appreciate any advice? Thanks for your time

Penzance
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

Hi Dolly1939,The times l been to Budapest.l've used the "La Prima fashion hotel".Also,the Carat hotel was good to stay at.More so the La Prima.Which is right next to the river.Both are on tripadvisor.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 05:41
luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

the top ten hotels on here are all fantastic

my wife and daughter are going back to the corinthia in september

tram stop right outside gets you central in less than 3 minutes

and a beautiful hotel

obviously if you want a river view maybe the sofitel or marriott

tony

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

the Marriott has a great location and wonderful service; it is a terrific hotel despite the fact that there is well-founded resentment about the building's architecture spoiling the riverfront and the fact that the interior design is basically identical to all high end Marriotts worldwide -- you can wake up in the morning and have to spend a moment recalling what country you are in

but if you've got a deal there that beats the K&K ... go for it

the Zichy is a very, very different place from either the Marriott or the K&K ...

ultimately, your travel style should pull you in the direction of the kind of hotel that you find most appealing ... the city is very manageable -- anything within the Nagykorut is well within reach of most places you will want to go, even on foot, so from there i'd base the choice on style

of the places you described, the Zichy is a small boutique hotel with attentive staff and a somewhat younger vibe; the Marriott is a traditional american international high end hotel chain and the K&K a well-executed european travelers' holiday hotel, perhaps a notch down from the Marriott in amenity and a notch up in personality

North Wales
Level Contributor
70 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

If you want to spend all your time in the hotel, then go for the above, if you're sight seeing all day and want a "central" hotel, the Best Western Parlament is ideal. Good location for transport, dining and night life, all within a short walk, in a safe area. The hotel staff (ALL) are excellent, and the breakfast should keep you going until Tiffin. Enjoy :)

Check a booking for "City Break".

Edited: 11 July 2012, 21:37
luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

unless you head out beyond the ring road ,I would say all of the above are very safe, there is plenty to do in all areas inside the ring road .

we stayed at the zichy for 7 days and found it a great base

little things like free tea coffee and mineral water during the day were excellent touch,also the cabs they got for us to visit attractions were spot on timewise and very cheap

we looked at the parlament and sofitel but they couldn't accommodate us at that time

cheers tony

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I've narrowed it down to either the Marriott or Best Western Parliament. We enjoy a good breakfast and both seem to have decent reviews. Like the idea of complimentary tea/coffee/mineral water up until 5pm at Best Western parliament although have always enjoyed the comfort of Marriott beds. This will be a difficult choice.

Both hotels are the same price! Decisions decisions. Any further comments welcome.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

For my tastes, an it is entirely a matter of taste, the Marriott's in a far better location than the Best Western ... but because Budapest is decentralized each is closer to some things and further from others; they're about a twenty minute walk from one to the other and you pass through the city center along the way...

the Marriott is far closer to the Central Market, the National Museum, Vaci utca, and Vorosmarty ter; the Best Western is closer to Parliament and Szabadsag ter, and the banking and embassy areas...

the Marriott has a river view from every room I believe, having been built to that specification as the original Inteercontinental in the early 1970s

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
595 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

Yes, Im tempted by the river views and have alway enjoyed comfort of Marriott although do accept chain hotels lack character.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

of the 2 marriott has the best views and locations,but not a lot in it

tony

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice hotel recommendation for 40th birthday trip?

sorry when i say "not a lot in it" I mean that the 2 hotels are close in comparison

marriott definitely has the views and desert buffet

:-)

tony