We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budapest to vienna

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
budapest to vienna

hi guys,

im going to budapest in 12 days time and have been told about a boat trip that takes you to vienna for the day, however all i have come across on the internet is the hydrofoil?? i think it was called this, but i was told that was slow and expensive, but i just cant seem to find any other boats that take you there. can anyone enlighten me please? and also, i know this may be a stupid question but i will have to take my passport with me to enter austia wont i?? sorry!! this is my 1st trip abroad ever so i know nothing about travelling.

thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budapest to vienna

Hi pip,

You will not be able to do a single day round-trip Budapest-Vienna via a boat. And the hydrofoil is loud, inside only, and not all that great. If you'd like to do a day-trip, look into the trains. The train is about 3 hours and is quite nice. Both first and second class is pleasant, with a 1st class round trip in the 120 Euro range. The trains run throughout the day. While you cannot purchase tickets on-line, you can look at schedules here - www.mav.hu You can purchase these tickets in person at the train stations here in Budapest with cash or credit card.

Getting to the train stations in both cities can be done via metro's or buses - depending where you'll be traveling from. It's pretty simple - even for a first timer!

Best wishes in your planning.

Jeremy

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: budapest to vienna

Brill. I shall look into going by train, thanks for the advice, much appreciated :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budapest to vienna

You can also purchase train tickets in Budapest at the MAV office located at 1051 Budapest , József Attila utca 16. We just did this and it was easier than going out to the train station itself. We stopped in during our walk around the city. Have a great trip!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budapest to vienna

A second class round trip ticket to Vienna is €25, or €33 with a Vienna public transport ticket. Buy this ticket at the station on the day - they don't run out.

It is possible to buy tickets on-line, but the above is cheaper

You can buy a first class ticket on-line for €29 each way from http://www.mavstart.hu/english/index.php - guide for purchase here europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

but the difference between the classes is so small that I would save my money.

You have to take your passport with you as it is the law in both countries to have ID with you at all times, but you will not be asked to produce it at the border. In fact you won't even tell that you have crossed the border.

5. Re: budapest to vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 05:17