We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling alone in Budapest

Hello,

I am travelling alone to Budapest next week for dental treatment and am staying for 5 days at Kempinski Hotel.

Where can I go alone and what can I do alone ?

I enjoy sitting in a nice bar / cafe reading a good book, enjoying the view and watching the world go by. A place where one can feel comfortable being alone but also a place thats stylish, has a good atmosphere and where I can also meet other tourists and locals.

I have read about many bars in the area, but I don't know how they will be for just one person to enjoy ( although, i'm sure i will meet people once the booze flows, lol ).

Is it possible to just walk around the area rather then needing to get taxi's everywhere i go ? I just want to have everything close by as I won't know how much pain I will be feeling during this intense treatment that I am starting...

Appreciate any good advise.. Many Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

Hi nelson,

As I travel on business as an individual frequently, I can relate to your post. Obviously, you can venture around the city virtually everywhere as a single. The city if full of sights (both historical/scenic/fun), parks, cafe/bars etc. I suggest you continue to research some sights to scope out your plans. And yes - you can walk almost everywhere, plus Budapest has an excellent public transportation system. While not the cleanest, it can take you to the four corners of the city and most places in between (metro, buses, trams, trolleys, etc.)

A few nice spots to have a read and watch the world go by:

1. Along the river promenade on the Pest side. 400 meters from your hotel. Here, there are various hotels (Intercontinental, Marriott) and cafe's where you can grab a table, order a drink and watch the people strolling around.

2. Head over to the pedestrian area by St Stephen's Basillica. 400 meters straight in front of your hotel. There, you will find a great wine bar (DiVino), a solid coffee shop (California Coffee) that has WiFi, or even Tom Georges Italian. All places you can have a drink, maybe a bite and take in the city.

3. Margit Island. Say 1 kilometer from your hotel, off the Margit bridge. Here, you will find large green areas with sun and shade and people playing and laying about. A great place to chill. Be sure to check out Holduvar closer to the Margit bridge end. It's a solid restaurant by day/evening that turns into a club at night.

But....there are literally hundreds of cafe's where you will be able to sit outside and watch the world go by.....this is one of many wonderful Budapest attributes.

Hope this offers you a start. Enjoy your days here.

Jeremy

Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
687 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

Budapest downtown is pretty compact, you do not need taxis.

Make sure you check out the jewish area, it has pretty nice pubs, cafes etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

Thanks Jeremy F and Bl4ze,

Really appreciate your good advice.

Jeremy, thats great. Your post makes me draw a nice picture in my mind and is very informative for me. I will venture to these places and also the Jewish area's too.

Thanks guys for easing my worries and now am looking forward (except the dental treatment ) to a wonderful relaxing time in this lovely city.

Will post my experiences when I get back..

nelson

Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
687 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

Enjoy.

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

I am in Budapest right now as a lone traveler. I'll use those suggestions also.

I arrived yesterday with no real plans. Road the public transit system for a while hoping on and off where I wanted on a 24 hour pass and explored to get a feel for the size and shape of the city as well as where things were located. I left for the City Park last night to take in the open air concert but the the sky opened up instead and terrible rain fell on my plans. Lawn sitting was no longer attractive to me so I stayed local and found dinner and drinks near by.

I came from Prague and there are stark contrasts to that city, I'm looking forward to discovering the hidden secrets here.

Where magazine currently has an article about places with a view, landmarks, venues, restaurants, perhaps you can find it on-line, www.wheretraveler.com

Ask your doctor if a particular mineral bath would be beneficial to your healing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

Travelling alone was great. I met some really lovely people who I would not have met if I wasn't alone. Everyone was very welcoming.

Even sitting alone in bars and cafes, I felt comfortable and I enjoyed just watching the lovely views, the people and soaking in the great atmosphere.

Am returning in October, but I miss the place already and cannot wait to go back.

Thanks for the good advice.

Virginia
Level Contributor
586 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

SaeMarke...You note in your post you found stark contrasts to Prague. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

Scotland
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

Looks like Nelson has got the Bp bug.

It's easy to catch.

Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
687 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

Nice to hear, Nelson :)

10. Re: Travelling alone in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 July 2012, 20:10
Edited: 30 July 2012, 20:10