We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P+R prices for four nights

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
P+R prices for four nights

We will be staying at Kempinski Hotel Corvinus Budapest at Erzsébet tér 7-8. I just discovered that their parking is around 33 euros a day, which for four nights is a lot of money. I was thinking about parking in a P+R and using public transportation to get around Budapest for the four days I'm there. Does anyone know which P+R would be most convenient for me and would it would cost? Or if you have a better suggestion for reasonable parking, any help would be great. Thank you so much!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: P+R prices for four nights

Hi raker7,

Is it a must you have a car in Budapest? I assume you are driving in from elsewhere? If a car isn't a must, then avoid it, as it is not necessary or practical in Budapest.

Unfortunately, there is no ecosystem of park and rides in Budapest. The only active one I know of (and this goes back a few years) is on the Pest side in district XVI - and I would not park there. Some additional options:

1. Park in a neighborhood where parking is free and take a taxi or public transportation back to the Kempinski. There is plenty of free parking streets in the "higher-rent" districts of II and XII on the Buda side. It's a "free" option but has some risks. While auto theft is not as significant as it once was, it still exists - so if you're bringing a rental be certain you have full theft protection.

2. There are multiple car parks (unfancy vacant lots) within a 20ish minute walk of your hotel. Most of these lots have daily rates, and are "guarded" by an employee who sleeps on sight in a small shack of some sorts (they don't have it easy). There are a few on Dohany utca as well as Akacfa utca that I have used when my office garage was unavailable for the day. I did not have an issue. If this is an option for you, we can go into more detail so you know exactly where they are located.

3. Try negotiating a better rate with the hotel. The Kempinski garage has never ever been full when I've parked there, which has been often in the past. The only exception may be the F1 weekend and 20 August celebration. They may be flexible?

Best,

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: P+R prices for four nights

You appear to be from New York, so you must be hiring a car - you won't need it in Budapest so why not dump it when you arrive and then pick up another when you leave ? they will deliver to your hotel.

Or are you driving in from outside Hungary ?

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: P+R prices for four nights

There is a garage on Realtanoda utca by the corner of Szep utca, in a school building; modern, totally secure, I think 6500 HUF/day or 22,000/week.

Behind the National Museum there is an underground lot with somewhat better rates, though not much; and the Hotel Mercure Korona at Kalvin ter's garage posts a daily rate of 5500. These too are relatively easy walks.

There is a garage building very nearby, at Szervita ter, where they will sometimes negotiate a better rate than their hourly one, but they don't speak English and it can be a challenge to communicate.

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: P+R prices for four nights

Thank you so much for all this information! We're driving around Central Europe, so the car is unditchable unless maybe I contact Budget and ask if that is feasible. If it isnt, thank you all for all of these options.

Jeremy, any chance you could go into specifics about the open air car park locations? I figure the more options I know about, the more I can choose from.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 07:26
New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: P+R prices for four nights

We're also considering parking near the airport and just taking public transport in. Are either long term parking at Terminal 2 or P+R Ferihegy at Terminal 1 viable/safe options?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: P+R prices for four nights

Hello again Raker,

The airport parking might be a solid option, in the sense that I would think it is safe. I say think, because I only taxi it back and forth. I do know from others that he public transportation (bus to metro) runs fine, but it will take around 1 hour each way.

Concerning the parking I mentioned earlier. I believe (Im within a block on these estimates) there are lots at:

1. Dohany and Klauzai. It will be on the front right corner are you proceed on Dohany.

2. There are at least two on Kertesz between Wesselenyi and Dohany. At least one on each side of street. I have parked in the one that will be on our right.

If our are serious about findin these (they are easy to find), print out Google maps so ou can see the traffic flow. These are one way streets.

Hope this helps. I think you have some solid options.

Jeremy

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: P+R prices for four nights

Thank you! I definitely do. I'll definitely study the map so I can find those parking lots. That's generally the trouble with European cities... too many one way streets!

8. Re: P+R prices for four nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2013, 10:17