We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around the Corinthia hotel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Around the Corinthia hotel

Hi there, very excited to be going back to this beautiful city after many years. I'm staying at the Corinthia Hotel and had two questions please. What would you recommend I do thats within half an hour or so walking distance, I love history and thought the Opera house would be a good thing to see, any other things recommended. Also, as a female on my own, how would you rate the area around the hotel for safety, should I have any particular concerns walking around at night please, I have a very short stopover and really just want to see as much as I can!

Thank you

Altrincham, England
Level Contributor
130 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

We stayed at the Corinthia just over a week ago. Lovely hotel.

Walking suggestions:

Up and down Andrassy Ut. You can get to Heroes Square in about 20 minutes, just a bit further for fine views of the castle in the park.

In the other direction. Just around the corner Liszt Ferenc Square - lots of restaurants.Carrying on, on your left look out for Alexandra Bookstore (Parizsi over the door) - amazing cafe salon on first floor. Opera house on opposite side. Not too much further to St Stephen's Basilica. From there another 5 minutes and you're at the river. Streets always busy. Can't imagine you would be at any risk.

I hope to post a trip review fairly soon.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,252 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

The Terror Museum is just around the corner, if you haven't been before, it's about the horrors of cummunism and fascism. Get an audio guide if you go.

Bock Bisztro is one of Bpest's best eateries, and is actually situated within the hotel - it is possibe to get wines by the glass (Bock is one of Hungary's best wineries) to go with each course.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

Hey kiddoBrisbane,

Within 30 minutes of walking - you can see a ton of things. Bring your walking shoes! If you walk well, you can also include walking to the river front to enjoy the promenade - which is best at night when the river front city architecture is glowing with light.

Note that a tram line (4-6) runs immediately outside your front door. That's a great option for seeing more of the city, and an economical one at that. (I might suggest taking the tram 'round trip' as it passes over the river into Buda at opposite ends of the city - or there abouts). The BEST tram ride in terms of sightseeing is the #2 tram that runs along the river on the Pest side.

OK - back to walking. You may want to come out of your hotel, turn left and venture into the New York Palace Cafe. While it's not a local favorite (a bit aloof service), tourists enjoy it quite a bit. The interior dates back many decades. Then walk across the street and walk down Wesselenyi or Dohany utca through the old Jewish quarter. There you will walk by nice small shops, old squares/architecture and pop out close to Deak ter which is in the heart of the city center. Be sure to take a walking map with you, as the streets do not run parallel.

Andrassy, Hero's Sqaure, Terror Haz, Opera House, Great Synagogue, city architecture, Parliament, and numerous museums are all within your ring of walking (or close to) - but all can be had with public transportation. And note - you are also close (10 minute walk) to the metro line at Blaha Ljusza ter, where you can also grab buses. These buses can also take you up to Gellert Hill to grab some great views of the city.

Look - you have tons of great options. It's hard to narrow down! And about being a single woman traveling. Use common sense - your neighborhood is fairly solid as is the entire city. Get a bit lost? Head into a hotel or pub/restaurant and the locals will help. Also sick if walking and prefer a cab. Dial +36.1.211.1111 for a City Taxi. Tell them where you are and they will pick you up within minutes.

Hope this gets you started - and the above suggestions are spot on as well.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

Thank you all so much!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,252 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

You don't give exact dates - around (and especially on) the 20th Aug things will be a bit hectic as it is the 'National Day'. Restaurants need to be booked in advance (Bock is best booked in advance any time of the year).

All restaurants will speak English when you call.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

If you turn right out of your hotel you will reach "Oktogon" a major intersection in the city and from there you can reach anything you might want to see or do within 10-15 minutes. Also from there, Liszt Ferenc Ter is only a block away, where you will find two blocks of sidewalk cafes, restaurants, bistros and bars in a well-lit safe area. In addition, there is one of my favorite "Old World" reataurants only about 3 blocks from the Ter...the Kis Pipa. You will get very authentic Hungarian food there.

If you turn left out of the hotel you will find many interesting builidings and will arrive at the Nemzeti Muszeum (National Museum) a must see for a person with your tastes. Next door you will find the Muzeum Kavehaz, an excellent place to eat after touring the museum. A little way down the road you will find the Museum of Applied Arts, which is also excellent. Along the way you might want to stop at the New York Cafe for an espresso, but that is about all I would recommend.

In addition, I suggest you will want to see Terror Haz, the Basilica (make sure you take the elevator to the top of the dome for one of the best views in Pest), and then stroll over to the Great Synagogue and don't miss the garden in the back. You will also want to see the Central Market, where you will find a gift for everyone back home, as well as some great cheap eats.

See the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d179…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d696…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d204…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d325…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d276…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d970…

Enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

You have all been very helpful, going to be there from 24 august, I do wish I had more time, so looking forward to it!

8. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2012, 13:36
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

Thank you Bobandco, getting excited!

10. Re: Around the Corinthia hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 21:16