We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest with a young Child

derry.ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest with a young Child

Hi, we have bben in Budapest twice in the last number of years and have really enjoyed this beautiful city, We are hoping to come back in September, this time however we will have a two year son with us which changes things obviously, I would really appreciate guidance on a few things

Airport Transfers,--We used Zona twice ( I see that there is a new operator now) and whilst it was a good service both times the journeys were a white knuckle ride due to their speed of their overtaking manoeuvres , Can you prebook a taxi / transfer that will have a car seat suitable for a two year old

Accommodation- on both our visits we stayed in K+K opera, this time we would prefer either an apartment or apathotel ( which would have a kitchenette) would anyone have any recommendations?

Weather- what would it be like mid september? it was July when we were over the previous times?

Is their many activities/ places to go to keep a two year old occupied

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest with a young Child

the corinthis grand hotel has apartments on site which are highly fitted out

a fully fitted kitchen and 2 bedroom and 2 bathrooms

when our daughter was 2 we took her to budapest and we/she loved it,pretty much accessible everywhere and made welcome

I will never forget the waiter in cosmo and matilda was crying,he ran down the shop at 10PM and got us some milk for her

that has stuck in my mind as the general attitude towards children,very warm and welcoming

the zoo is a lot of fun,also the children's railway and city park

good luck

tony

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest with a young Child

Hello dg,

Having a small child, I absolutely understand your inquiry. Let me respond to your questions in order.

1. We travel often and I do not like leaving my car at the airport, therefore we taxi it back and forth. We use City Taxi - and have for a decade +. You must call ahead to reserve an infant seat (be sure to tell them the specific seat needed). I think the seat is about 2000HuF. The ride from airport into city center is about 6000HuF not outside of the seat use. You can find City Taxi on the web or ring them at +36.1.211.1111. You can also use them throughout your stay.

2. The Grand C. that Tony suggests is top notch and a solid property all around. A couple of others you might want to look into include:

- Adina Apartment Hotel - located in district XIII, the reason I suggest this one is the proximity to one of the best park's in the city - St. Istvan's park about 3 blocks away (towards the river). If it's raining you can enjoy the indoor pool. The neighborhood is littered with cafes, small groceries, restaurants, etc. It's just outside of city center. I've had friends stay here with their young families and have only received positive feedback. There are 4+ parks that I can think of within 6 blocks of this location. adina.eu/adina-apartment-hotel-budapest/home

- Millennium Hotel by Marriott - this too is an apartment type of hotel - and the primary reason I suggest this is because of the location - in the heart of the city. I have stayed here in the past and from a location standpoint it's great. The closest children's park is about 6ish blocks away - I suppose a 15ish minute (pleasant) walk. If you inquire here, specifically ask for a hotel with windows facing the front or side (the back facing can be quite dark). marriott.com/hotels/…

3. Mid-September should be nice and warm. I'd check for weather norms, but my guess is mid/upper-20's for highs. Rain obviously can come at any time, but my recollections of September are fairly dry.

4. Keeping a 2-year old occupied. Yeah - good luck with that one! Well, St. Istvan's Park is great. As is Margit Island that included a free small petting zoo, outdoor swimming pools, rental "family" bikes (look like cars on bicycle tires) you can ride around the island on, green areas for a picnic, etc. The young one may enjoy a tram ride (just tell them it's a train). Hop on the #2 tram which you may recall runs the length of the Pest side along the river. A great scenic ride. As Tony mentioned the City Zoo is great. It too includes a petting zoo - and is an all around very nice zoo. One last idea - a boat ride. These are primarily one hour and quite enjoyable - especially later in the day (before bed time) when the sun cools and is receding from the sky.

Hope this gets you on a good path.

Jeremy

derry.ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest with a young Child

Thank you both for all the info it has been a great help, do the city taxi operators speak English Jeremy?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest with a young Child

The childrens railway is great for kids and adults, also the Railway Museum, you can even drive a train there! The Railway Museum is I seem to remember Not far along the line out of Budapest on the train that goes to Estergom. The childrens railway is in Buda but I cant recall the directions. Palatinus Strand I think has paddling pools & stuff, its the lido on Margit Sziget. Best Hotels are really nice, they find apartments, all the ones they have found us have been pretty central near to Vaci Utca. They are near Deak Ter metro station, near to Yellow Giraffe info place.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest with a young Child

Hi dg,

Yes, City Taxi operators speak English, and many of their drivers speak decent English as well. one other thought, once you nail down our hotel, ping the forum back. We can point you to the closest parks for your little one.

Enjoy this wonderful city.

Jeremy

derry.ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest with a young Child

Thanks again Jeremy, at the minute it looks like either Adina or Mamsion Residence Izabella, Thanks also frogs we will definitely look oot for the railway museum

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest with a young Child

Hi Derry,

we have used the airport shuttle transfer with our 2 year old (they have child seats at the counter of the shuttle bus at the airport). We have specifically asked the driver not to drive too fast, and he was very nice. I hope it won't sound strange, but You can always _ask the taxi driver nicely to go at a relaxed pace_ After all you are the customer. They might be a bit taken aback, but they will drive more slowly.

You can print this sentence out in Hungarian if you are not sure if he understands your request (Dear Sir, We are not in a hurry. We would like to get to our hotel at a relaxed pace. Could you please drive more slowly as we are with our child? Thank you for your understanding / co-operation.)

Tisztelt Uram! Nem sürgős az utunk. Szeretnénk nyugodt tempóban a hotelhoz érni. Kérem, legyen szíves lassabban vezetni, mivel gyermekkel utazunk. Köszönöm megértését.

I think they drive fast as they are so much used to driving all day, and are also in a hurry to get further commission, or they oftentimes suppose that you are in a hurry (especially towards the airport). I know it can be white knuckle. If it makes you feel better (it does me), and of course safer, ask the taxi driver (maybe even the dispatcher) in advance.

Children activities in Budapest: I have long been planning to update and enrich this page, but couldn't get down to it yet.

But here are some ideas we do with our 2 year old daughter (a lovely fidgeting monkey)

http://familyfriendly.topbudapest.org/

budapest.com/things_to_do/budapest_events/ch…

frommers.com/destinations/…0047021105.html

larnacaparentsnetwork.com/2012/05/budapest-c…

Budapest kids activities for indoor for rainy wet cold weather:

Palace of Wonders at Millenaris Park

Aquaworld water theme park

Zoo (the indoor sections), right next to the Circus (old fashioned), and the Amusement park - 3 hours' activities ! :)

Museum of Transport

Palace of Arts kids concerts and noisy sessions - mupa.hu/en/…

etc.

Budapest kids activities for outdoor - sunny weather:

Palatinus (not the Szechenyi, sorry)

Margaret Island and other parks, incl. Szent Istvan park as mentioned above

Children's Railway

Libego

Railway Museum

Kopaszi gat at Rakoczi Bridge (Buda side) http://www.obol.hu/home.html

Gellert Hill slides

hundreds of playgrounds!

Enjoy a mild September in Budapest!

PS: the popular Buda Castle labyrinth is permanently closed. Szechenyi Bath is cool, but not for toddlers. Travelling with a buggy is not easy in Budapest, but passengers are lovely and helpful to lift the buggy if the decks are too high (sorry, that's the truth, it is not so convenient).

derry.ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest with a young Child

Thank you so much TopBuapestor, a wealth of information for us to wade through, we were at Szechenyi on our first visit and really enjoyed it but Palatinus definitely seems more toddler friendly

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest with a young Child

We found drivers typically automatically drove slower when a child was in the car...our experience is somewhat limited however.

Tooling around with our 8 month old, we found Budapest to be very stroller friendly however, one thing you'll want to watch out for is the subways...there are many instances where you'll have to go up and down stairs with a stroller and other instances where the escalators are very long and steep. Outside of getting in and out of the subways,w e had no problems. however, if you do rent an apartment, you may want to make sure there are elevators.

derry.ireland
Level Contributor
127 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest with a young Child

Adina Apartment hotel booked for a week in September, cant wait to get back to Budapest