We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Kelenfoe Station

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest Kelenfoe Station

Can anyone comment on Kelenfoe(ld) rail station in Budapest? We will be arriving in Budapest from Salzburg in October, to board a river cruise. Kelenfoe is the first rail stop, with Keleti station 15-20 minutes later down the line. They seem perhaps equal distance from the cruise port area, but thought to choose Kelenfoe since it's first. Actually, when I look on the OBB site, it seems like the only choice is Keleti station. Would I book that and just get off early at Kelenfoe?

I've had minimal success in finding info on this station - is there an ATM available there to exchange for forints? (We've pre-arranged a transfer from the cruise line, but want to have money to tip with.) Anything I should know about Kelenfoe? A couple photos I managed to find make it look a little scary! We would be arriving around 4:30pm on a Monday.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest Kelenfoe Station

I would get off the train at Keleti not Kelenföld it is much easier reach downtown.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest Kelenfoe Station

Kelenfold isn't really scary - it's just run down.

While there may be an ATM at Kelenfold, I've never noticed one. I've not noticed one at Keleti either, but I wasn't looking; I'm sure that must be one. OTOH, there is no really nearby bank at Kelenfold, so changing money could be a problem there. There are sevral around Keleti, as well as exchange booths (which may of may not be very good). I would also guess that the cruise line is expecting you to use Keleti.

I have some other reservations about Kelenfold also, but they may not be pertinent.

Basically, just continue on to Keleti.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest Kelenfoe Station

It doesn't matter where you book to, the price is still the same €39, but definitely continue to Keleti.

Don't worry about tips too much, they aren't endemic in Central Europe and the train driver gets paid a living wage. He might look at you funny if you tried to give him one :)

Edited: 24 August 2012, 14:06
Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest Kelenfoe Station

Thank you all for your comments.

It sounds like Keleti is the way to go. The cruise line offered us a pick-up at either station for the same cost. From what I'd read about Keleti, it was much busier, & I thought it might be easier to find the transfer person at Kelenfoe. However, I'll trust your advice & stay on at Kelenfoe & continue on to Keleti.

Your help is appreciated!

5. Re: Budapest Kelenfoe Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:16