We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit - late March or late April?

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit - late March or late April?

We are looking to visit Budapest in either late March or late April. Which is the best time to visit? I read that March is colder and has more rain. Will all cultural attractions and sights be open in these months (i.e. churches, galleries, museums)? What about the availability of booking day trips from Budapest? (I understand Danube cruises don't start until May 1).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit - late March or late April?

Hey CV,

I would target late April for the warmer temperatures (on average). But you know weather is difficult to predict. May 1 is the only national holiday close to late April unless Easter falls on a Sunday, in which Hungary will also celebrate on Easter Monday when most things will be closed, including museums.

Late April can be wonderful weather wise as the city is in the full swing of spring. And the Danube boat rides (1-2 hour variety) run year round, however with a limited winter schedule or barring ice on the river.

Best,

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,528 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit - late March or late April?

Budapest is a great place for walking - late April will give you an extra 2 hours of daylight (OK, one if you are lazy). Like everywhere else in Europe it will be warmer in April, though I was there for 10 days this past March and it was warm enough to get out and about witout excessive clothing.

3. Re: Best time to visit - late March or late April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:17