We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boscolo location question

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
32 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Boscolo location question

My husband and I will be doing 3 nights, mid-October, first time visitors. We are currently booked at the Boscolo (free with Marriott points) but am a bit concerned about the location. We like to walk so its proximity to the 'tourist' areas is not a concern, but we generally prefer to use metro/trams. Is this area safe for public transportation? What about at night? Obviously taking a cab is an option but I get a sense that hailing a cab off the street isn't the safest in terms of getting scammed from reading the forums. Not sure if I could call a cab not speaking the language. We are used to traveling using public transportation just a little worried if it's considered generally safe.

My other choice would be to go to the Intercontinental or Sofitel area, but it's hard to beat free! (plus the architecture of the Boscolo sounds like an unforgettable treat)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boscolo location question

Hi Shappy,

The Boscolo is a wonderful property, and please do take advantage of the great offer. The property sits about 100 meters from Blaha Lujza ter (you can see it on Google maps).

With that said, Budapest is a very safe city, but use common sense and do not be an easy target for pick-pocketers that roam the metro and tram lines (like man large cities). I worked across the street from the Boscolo for many years and the neighborhood is solid, and since ou prefer to use trams and metros - you'll be absolutely fine since you can grab both about 100 meters out the front door at Blaha, which is a central public transportation hub (buses, trams, metro).

Using public transportation, you will be at many sites within 15ish minutes no sweat. If you wanted to walk to the riverfront from your hotel, I would give yourself 30ish minutes for a nice stroll.

You are correct about the taxi system here. Regrettably, it is unregulated and some will prey (think overcharge massively) on unsuspecting people. If you need to take a cab, keep City Taxi's number handy - +36.1.211.1111. You call them, (they speak English), tell the, your name and where you are at. They will send a car - when it arrives tell them our name so you know you have the right taxi and off you go. They accept credit card including Amex. I have used them for a decade+ with no issues. Note that your hotel, most restaurants and pubs will also ring ou a City Taxi (ask for them specifically by name).

Enjoy. Your hotel is great, the location may not be dead city center, but you'll be fine.

Best,

Jeremy

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
32 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boscolo location question

Thanks for your detailed response. When you say "use common sense" would say using a metro/tram to return to the hotel at 10 p.m. not be a good idea? If you wanted to go to the river would there be lots of transfers or is it a straight shot? Would there be any casual type restaurants near the hotel or we we require transportation for everything?

If we do stay there and use public transportation what would be the things to avoid?

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boscolo location question

you have the 4 and 6 trams running right past the hotel

these connect with all the major metro lines and bus and tram lines

they are very modern and big very efficient

as per Jeremy's comments on taxis

we used city extensively (i rang them and eventually they knew my name) and never paid more than 3000 fts for a taxi around the tourist areas

the boscolo is a stunning hotel to look at at night

good luck

tony

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boscolo location question

Wondering why not the Marriott on Marriott points?

Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boscolo location question

We could use the points at the Marriott or the Boscolo. Do you think the Marriott is a better choice? I know i would love the architecture at the Boscolo but sounds like the Marriott is better located.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boscolo location question

Hi lf,

I missed the "Marriott points" text in the original post. While the Boscolo is a superior property, I would change to the Marriott for one primary reason. Every room in the Marriott offers fantastic river views that you will enjoy and remember for a long while. Budapest's river front architecture makes the skyline one of the best in the world imo. And the Marriott is a solid property as well - just being renovated completely (interior) in 2009ish....I was there last night with a colleague and the room was very nice.

Be sure to request a "northerly" view room so you can see the castle district, palace, and chain bridge. A wonderful view that I still appreciate each time I see it. In addition, the Marriott is a better base camp from a sight-seeing perspective because of it's city-center location, as opposed to the Boscolo that sits outside of the center just a bit.

Enjoy

Jeremy

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boscolo location question

^^ jeremy is spot on as usual with this

tony

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
32 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boscolo location question

Just got back. Went with the Boscolo and we loved it, our favorite hotel of the trip. Our room was enormous and pure luxury, the bathroom out of this world with a tub as large as our outdoor jacuzzi. We loved the location, didnt feel touristy but working class. Felt Budapests public transportation the most efficient weve ever experienced. Realy enjoyed the city, thanks for answering my questions before we left.

9. Re: Boscolo location question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 23:17