We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money question again!!!

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hednesford,Staffs
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Money question again!!!

I've only booked up my trip today so I've left it late to get huf in uk for Friday at a descent rate so I'm taking sterling so I can change it when I need it. What is the rate at the moment at exchange booths at the moment, the rate I got in krakow doing this was much better than uk and ATM!

thanks,

Andy

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Money question again!!!

Don’t know what the rate there is atm, but here(UK) when I use a currency converter it tells me 352h/£, but Thomas cook is only offering 319, post office slightly better @ 329- both available for pick up next day-easily before Friday? Was wondering myself if taking sterling or euro with me was the answer or if changing when i need it would work out worse, after sevral comitions?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money question again!!!

If you have to change at the airport, only get 10k forints, which will be more than enough for a taxi (about 6k).

Look for postings by JohnFarago on this subject, he is the whizz where changing money is concerned.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,575 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money question again!!!

I never get currency when going abroad. Plastic and the hole in the wall are perfectly sufficient for my requirements. Of course you should always avoid airport exchange desks anywhere in the world except in a dire emergency or to get a very small essential amount if the cashpoint isn't working.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
612 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money question again!!!

The Money Shop offers 328 huf to the pound, they usually have stock or will order for collection next day.

leeds, uk
Destination Expert
for Leeds
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money question again!!!

asda and marks and spencers should have stock if you ring them up

i got 325 to the quid... could've got 333, but taking in parking cost into account, it worked out about same as 325... as i'm only changing very little for my 2 days trip

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money question again!!!

Is a taxi from the airport payable by credit card?

Pjk

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money question again!!!

Relax.

There are ATM's at the airport. Just check what you own cards do about foreign ATMs and other charges. .Aside from an ATM, do NOT exchange money at the airport!

Both the shuttle bus (which I know) and tthe approved taxi (Fo Taxi, which I haven't use, so can't swear to) take crerdit cardsEither of these will get you into the center of the city, where you can find far better rates on changing sterling to forints.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money question again!!!

yes ,use fotaxi and pay by credit card

once at your hotel do not use their exchange service (poor rate)

there are lots of change booths all round the city

the one at blahia ter worked well for us

check your money before you leave

tony

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
742 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money question again!!!

Sainsburys is 319 to the £1 at the moment, you also get a small amount of Nectar card points then. Ordered mine today though and they won't be there until Friday....

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money question again!!!

I've just been looking into this today ready for my trip next week. (back to the dentist again).

Thomas Cook local shop quoted (by telephone) 317. When told how poor that was, magically they could suddenly do 320.52.

My bank FirstDirect charge 2% + £1 + a probable local machine fee for ATM withdrawals. Today's rate was 344.09.

I found online www.correctchange.hu (English flag top right) who's indicative rates today are Buying 350.1 Selling 353.45

I can never remember which way around that works. Who's buying & who's selling?

This at their main exchange booth in Budapest.

So I think that's the way I'll be doing it, although I prefer not to carry cash.