We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handling luggage on trains

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Handling luggage on trains

Is there help lifting luggage on and off trains? I don't think I can handle it myself

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handling luggage on trains

Hi Fern,

I am not a train expert, and only take them once/twice a year....but in my experiences in Budapest I have NEVER seen a service provided by the train company that assists with luggage (I.e., a porter). Some time back, there was a series of posts on this forum about 'porters' at Keleti train station that while the acted as if they were employees, they were not and would demand many Euros for their 'service.'

A couple of thoughts....find GCEK on this forum. He is the absolute train expert and might be able to comment. If all else fails, you may be able to ask a fellow traveler for help....And note - Keleti and Deli (two primary rail stations here in Budapest) have stairs that I don't believe can be avoided. May want to get some specifics and expert advice on that as well.

Best,

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Handling luggage on trains

Hi FernTausig, first of all, there are 3 major train stations in Budapest, can you share which one will you arrive at?

Keleti has some porter service (official porter service, even though not the best, and obviously their communication is below standards, OR there is a bunch of cheaters who are pretending to be official porters too).

But the main point is that there is indeed porter service at Keleti train station, I personally met porters, they have a badge and wear more visible garments.

However, this was only launched about a year ago at the railway station (here is the official tender: http://www.elvira.hu/kozerdeku_informaciok/palyazat.php?mid=14dc3b91367dd9) (but as MÁV would have it, there is no info on their website yet about this service).

Sorry, I must say that things are improving in Hungary but sometimes not in the best ways to put it mildly.

All three train stations can be approached by taxis in Budapest, but please do not hail down a taxi in the street if you do not want to be ripped off. Call any of the following taxi companies for a reliable service:

topbudapest.org/faq/…budapesttaxi

Make sure your porter is official. If in doubt, ask any of the train officials wearing uniforms.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Handling luggage on trains

Lifting luggage OFF: talk to the ticket inspector on the train, he/she might be able to organize something for you by the time the train arrives to the station. Alternatively, your fellow passengers can help you. Try to make friends on the train, it is fun anyways!

Lifting luggage ON: arrive ample time before the departure time and look for a larger vehicle with a big flat platform on the backside. They operate those things and I am sure they will be porters around or they will be able to help you calling one. You can also try to get help from the International Tickets booth as well.

Good luck to you!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Handling luggage on trains

Personally (and I use trains in Hungary a lot) on my annual trips there), I've never seen hide nor hair of a real porter.

Just how heavy is the bag about which you are worried? And how much can you lift the dratted thing? Also - where are you going to (or coming from)?

Expect a PM from me, as my assorted 'solutions' to the problem aner long and not really of much interest to people more fit and able than I.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Handling luggage on trains

I have never seen a official porter either at Keleti or at any other station that I can think of in Europe (I have come across unofficial ones at Keleti, though - the kind that hold their hand out for baksheesh after having done very little, but that was a very long time ago) - maybe there is some kind of official service now at Keleti as a result of the tender notice as posted above, but don't count on it. Don't count on finding trolleys either - they are few and far between, and in any case they are seen to be a safety hazard as they have a nasty habit of ending up on the tracks. So make sure you have wheels on your luggage.

As others have mentioned above, you usually have to rely on the kindness of fellow passengers, and this works in 99% of cases.

Personally I am always happy to help if somebody asks, or even if they don't and appear to be struggling. I would like to think that my fellow travellers are as altruistic as I am :)

Edited: 10 October 2012, 17:09
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
350 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Handling luggage on trains

Oh jeez, am I right to assume that there is no lifts or elevator avaialble at Keleti...

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Handling luggage on trains

I don't think you really need one in Keleti - as far as I can recall it is pretty user-friendly.

8. Re: Handling luggage on trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:17