We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from vienna to budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
traveling from vienna to budapest

i need to decide between the bus and the train...what is recommended. I am Starting in Prague, train to vienna and then to Buda and Pest..what is the most comfortable, reliable and best way with luggage? There are 4 of us

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from vienna to budapest

Buses are a mode of transport best suited to short distances, just a few miles.

Trains are for longer, inter-city type journeys.

So Vienna to Budapest is clearly a train journey. www.oebb.at from €19 if you pre-book, around €35 on the day bought at the station. No reservation necessary.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from vienna to budapest

And Prague to Vienna by comfortable, civilised EuroCity train starts at €19 at www.cd.cz/eshop

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
39 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from vienna to budapest

I recommend the train as well. More comfortable and relieable. Plus, you will arrive to the Eastern Train Station (Keletei Pu) which is a wonderful building.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from vienna to budapest

Just so you have all options there is also a bus from Prague to Vienna which is about an hour quicker than the train www.westbus.at

There is also a slightly slower bus option www.studentagency.eu but it isn't an ordinary bus as you get all kinds of gadgets - free wi-fi, DVDs, touchscreens, free refreshments,etc. If going just from Brno all locals would point you in the direction of the bus, but from Prague it is just as easy to sit on a train.

Both bus options cost c. €19

Train is my personal preference, though, and for Vienna to Budapest definitely train. The first time I did this journey was in February 1988 and it was so cold that the ink in my pen froze when I was writing my diary, and the Austrian carriages were the oldest ones that OEBB could muster up. Then at the border you were subjected to close inspection and you had to hand over the visa papers, for which a two-week wait and a personal visit to the embassy in London had been necessary. The stamp was quite impressive, though, and it was a real Cold War experience. Arriving in Keleti was like landing in a different world - I wouldn't exchange those memories for anything else.

Nowadays you just get onto a swish Austrian Railjet train which travels at high speed across the Hungarian plain with no passport controls and no freezing conditions. It is actually quite dull :)

5. Re: traveling from vienna to budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 18:19