We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riverboat Departures

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Riverboat Departures

Can anyone advise me the location of the departure wharf for the riverboats in Budapest. WE are doing a 15 day tour to Amsterdam.

Looking for a nearby hotel.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riverboat Departures

Hi pra47,

The docks are primarily city center on both sides of the river. I believe John Farago posted a dock map a while back that shows where specific cruise ships port. You may want to search his posts (it's been within the past 75ish days).

Hotels I would recommend that are close to/on the river include (let us know your preferred nightly budget and we can steer you better):

PEST Side (Pest side is true heart of city)

- Intercontinental

- Four Seasons Gresham Palace

- Marriott

- Marriott Millennium

BUDA side

- Art'otel

- Lanchid 19

Even though these hotels are along the riverfront, you may need a taxi to get there (depending on specific dock location and luggage situation). Have your boat call you a CITY Taxi (+36.1.211.1111). This is a long-standing dependable taxi company here, they speak solid English and accept all credit cards.

Jeremy

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riverboat Departures

Thanks Jeremy for the info and the prompt reply.

We will be travelling from Prague by train to Budapest, on Good Friday 2013.

We would prefer to stay on the Pest side, not far from the docks. So we will be needing a transfer from the Station to our hotel. I presume the same City Taxi arrangements will apply from the Station. We are looking at maybe $100 - $140 AUD per night for 2 nights, 4-5 Star? Our local language knowledge is minimal.

Do they accept Euros in Prague and Amsterdam?

I have not checked John's Maps yet, but will do so now.

Many Thanks,

Peter

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riverboat Departures

Hello again pra,

So your nightly budget is about 110 Euro (at today's rate)......I just did a quick search using your arrival date for 2 nights and the Marriott Millennium and Marriott both meet your budget (I used Kayak for a general search)......The others outside of the Four Seasons may as well, I just did not see them in my specific search. The Marriott is a great base camp, especially at that rate.

Once you arrive into Keleti you can ring City Taxi from your mobile. Some travelers have gotten a bit confused as to what location to meet their taxi, so pay special attention and ask questions if unsure. The train station has multiple exits....A City Taxi from Keleti to either Marriott location will be about 1500 Hungarian Forints (the hotels are very close to each other, but the Marriott faces the river and the MM does not.)

Concerning the Euro - the Netherlands uses the Euro, however Czech Republic and Hungary do NOT officially. Businesses in both Prague and Budapest will happily accept Euro's giving you a horrid exchange rate - essentially you will be losing 15%++ on your transaction using Euros here or Prague. If an option, I always suggest using my ATM card to withdrawl local currency. While many places here accept credit card, some will not so it's good to have a small amount of cash handy.

Hope this helps. You have plenty of time to plan.

Best,

Jeremy

4. Re: Riverboat Departures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 17:00
5. Re: Riverboat Departures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 16:17