We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Budapest

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Budapest

Hi there, my husband and I are planning to visit Budapest on December for my birthday. I'm trying to book a nice hotel in a good central location. And easy access to the airport. I was looking on Intercontinental Hotel or Hilton Budapest . I am not really sure which hotel to book. I am 7 months pregnant at the time that we are travelling. Hope anyone could help. Many thanks in advance

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Hi Sweetspud,

Go with the Intercontinental for many reasons, including:

- fantastic riverfront views (be sure to reserve a good view room)

- in the very heart of the city on the Pest side

- great spot to walk from, and can be reached easily if need to take a break

- solid rooms, solid service

- close to many good eats, and nice sights

I'm not certain which Hilton you are looking at, but in this case it doesn't matter. The Hilton Westend is in a mall and has no character. It could be located in anywhere, Europe. And the Hilton Castle - while a nice property is isolated a bit because of the location on the hilltop of the castle district in Buda. With you being 7 months pregnant, I don't think that would be ideal (I have never personally been pregnant :) ).

Taxi's to/from airport are easy. Upon arrival, head for official airport taxi stand (Fo Taxi) immediately outside of arrials hall and advise them where you're headed. About 30 minutes later you'll be in your hotel. You can use Fo for the return or call City Taxi. If you use the hotel taxi, you'll spend about 30% more.

Go with the IC. A solid property. Ping us back with other questions.

Enjoy,

Jeremy

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the great info.. A friend of mine suggested Danubius Hotel Astoria. She said it's close to most ammenities as well and the metro. Do you think this hotel is worth a try? Although IC is still my first choice.

By the way, is this close to the markets (Christmas) or shops?

Any nice and affordable restaurants that you could recommend?

By the way, last question when going to the BATHS, do u need a full day to stay there?

Once again thank you very much for your great help. I am really looking forward to visit Budapest.

Regards,

SweetSpud_78

Shelton, Washington
Level Contributor
475 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Go with the Intercontinental. This puts you five-10 minutes stroll (depending on the state of your feet) from the large Christmas market in VorosmartySquare- a pedestrianized area. Plenty of restaurants. If you can use the concierge at the hotel to get you a luncheon reservation for Onyx, you can try a Michelin 1 star for the businessman's special. Unless you are in town on the weekend.

The baths need not take up a day but consult your doctor about the max temperature you should attempt- they are thermal baths.

The Astoria is not really near anything except the subway/tram lines with lots of stairs and high entry steps (trams).

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Hey SweetSpud,

While the Hotel Astoria is only about a 15 minute walk from the Intercontinental, it's miles apart in terms of neighborhood, feeling and vibe. For a two-day stay, I'd stick the the IC because of what I mentioned above.

The IC is about 400 meters from Vorosmarty square - a large Budapest (and the most central) Christmas market. The square sits at one end of Vaci utca - a long pedistrian street with many shops (shoes, perfumes, souvenirs, clothes, etc.). At the other end of Vaci utca (say 20 minute walk with some stairs in the middle) there is the Great market Hall. A wonderful fresh food market with shopping for local goods and souvenirs at the top level.

The IC is close to many solid kitchens. Share a bit more of what food you would enjoy (or NOT enjoy), and a budget range. We can narrow down a short-list versus just naming off locales.

Best,

Jeremy

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

everything above is spot on ,but I would add that maybe use taxis rather than the subways if you are heavily pregnant

the taxis if rung are very cheap and very prompt

the subways have some very fast escalators and the ones without have a lot of stairs

the location of the IC is very good and the reviews too

cheers Tony

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Hi guys...... Thank you all for the information. Just booked Intercontinental Hotel.. Can't wait now :-) By the way, can anyone of you will know how long will it take from airport to IC? How much roughly would it cost for the taxi (2persons)? Do I need to book the taxi in advance? Or can you just get any taxi outside the airport? And to JEREMY>>> I'm not really a fussy eater. But I would prefer anything with rice or any seafoods :-) But I wouldn't mind trying any Hungarian foods. Me and my husband would prefer to eat in a not so formal restaurant. Will prefer cheap/affordable but delish! (Nice). Once again thanks for all the replies. It was really appreciated! From >>>> SweetSpud78

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Hi spud

just walk out of the airport door and the fo taxi stand is there

you book the taxi at the kiosk and they give you a price

i believe it will be 5800fts to the IC ,if you keep the stub then it is 4000fts for the return

this is by far the easiest way of getting from the airport to the hotel

it can be done by public transport but on such a short trip why waste time?

the trofea grill on kiraly has a good selection of Hungarian and international dishes

for between £10-15 a head including grog and soft drink

all the best

tony

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Hey SS,

Tony right on about the taxi. The taxi stand as immediately outside of arrival hall. If you want to look into the details, see the official airport taxi site at http://fotaxi.hu/?Language=en#main-menu

Concerning restaurants. I'm with you about casual, delicious food at good value. Within say a 15 minute walk from your hotel, or a <10 minute taxi ride (use City Taxi within the city), a few suggestions include,

- Cafe Kor - solid kitchen, busy place, good food with daily specials at a reasonable price. 10 minute walk next to St stephen's Basillica. It's in many travels books so gets busy see @ http://cafekor.org/site/index.php?page=en

- Comme Chez Soi - my favorite place in the city. It's a bit pricey, but a great calamari plate, and the best foie gras in the city. A mix of dishes including Hungarian. Roberto and his son Dénes will treat you like royalty. Check menu (and prices) @ http://cafekor.org/site/index.php?page=en

- Taverna Dionysos - this will be a 20 minute walk along the river (same side as IC). It's a long-standing (15+ years) Greek restaurant that has really good food including fresh seafood. The staff has been constant over the years, as have my wife and I eating there. Worth a look @ http://www.dionysos.hu/angol/etlap/index.htm

Hope this gets you started. I have a Budapest overview I have put together over the years I share with visiting friends and family. It includes our favorite sights, eats, drink laces, etc. Ping me a message if you'd like a look.

You should get reservations where possible, because the above places get busy. I can help, as can the hotel.

Best,

Jeremy

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

the webby of comme chez soi

http://www.commechezsoi.hu/

cheers tony

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in Budapest

Thanks @Tony and @Jeremy for those great information. By the way which is closer to our hotel (CI)? Is it Gellert Bath or Szechenyi? I really love to go in one of this place, even just to have the massage. I might not be allowed in the Thermal baths, coz I'm pregnant. By the way, are Christmas markets cheap? Like clothes or souvenirs? If not, which place is best to go? TO Jeremy>>> I read some of your older posts here in TA. And it's very useful, I should say. Thanks you once again. From>> SweetSpud78