We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fotaxi online booking

singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Fotaxi online booking

Hi guys i was wondering if anyone has any experience booking a taxi to the airport via fotaxi's online site. I do not have access to a hungarian phone line hence i was wondering if this is a reliable option. Thanks

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fotaxi online booking

Hi assmonk3y,

I have not used this service, however if you are staying in a hotel - you can have them call a FoTaxi for you. I do use the on-line City Taxi option (as part of the Budapest Funzine application) with success.

Enjoy Budapest,

Jeremy

Budapest
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fotaxi online booking

I don't know what others think about this company, but I generally consider Fotaxi a rip-off. They are the most expensive taxi company in the city, and only this company is allowed to pick up passengers at the airport without them pre-ordering a taxi earlier.

I suggest using other companies, my favorite is TaxiPlus. They are cheaper than Főtaxi and they can also get you to the airport in the same level of comfort and speed. If you want to come with them FROM the airport however, note that they are not allowed to park on the curb right at the airport exit (where Fotaxi parks) but a bit back (about 10 meters) down the road, and they won't be waiting there automatically like Főtaxi vehicles. You have to order them.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fotaxi online booking

its the same as any airport taxi service cityking,the taxi company has to pay a tariff to the airport and this cost gets passed on to the customer

if you want to be ripped off try luton airport taxis

£12 for a 3 mile trip

thats around 4000 fts for 5 km :-(

tony

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fotaxi online booking

Tony's spot on. I am not a fan of Fo either, but they charge the same prices as the other major high end taxi fleets for within-city fares (identical to City Taxi which, like Jeremy, I favor). For the airport run, they pay a fortune for the right to be the exclusive taxi service at the curb, including a specific commission on each ride. It's not the company that's costing you the extra, it's the airport.

For all practical purposes, the tariff into the city is among the least expensive I know of for an airport run of that distance, even at Fo Taxi

's rates; and the convenience of getting the taxi at the curb is significant.

I use an individual driver because I prefer that sort of personal accountability, but that's a personal preference and applies only to other who have similar quirky travel styles or people for whom special needs make it important to plan ahead and to feel that you are in contact with a specific person. For my purposes Alajos Pulai has been extraordinarily reliable over the years and I recommend him here regularly, and am delighted every time I use his services (pulai31@gmail.com). But he is a euro or so more costly than Fo and for those who are simply looking to get into the city without hassle and at moderate cost I cannot fault Fo.

My personal reason for preferring personal contact is that I obsess about whether the dispatcher understood me, whether I got the details precisely right, that sort of thing. I'm the sort of person that manages to get his name misspelled routinely when booking restaurant reservations, and I like being able to email or SMS or phone a specific person to double-check. Last week, in Paris, I used a car service I have used before, always with good effect, and still I worried until the car pulled up and, because I did not know the driver, I worried until we got to the terminal that something might go wrong.

But when you book with an individual different things can go wrong. So nothing's foolproof. That's why, absent special preferences, Fo makes very good sense to me.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fotaxi online booking

Fotaxi airport taxi service for the distance we travelled was the cheapest in Europe.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
6 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fotaxi online booking

I just recently used Fotaxi to take me from the airport to my hotel in the Castle HIll area. The price is a set price for hotel transfers, depending on which zone your hotel is located. Unless you are arriving at odd hours, there is no need to book in advance - there are plenty of Fotaxis lined up and waiting for passengers.

The procedure is quite simple - after retrieving your luggage, head outside to the Fotaxi stand, tell the employee where you want to go and you will receive a receipt to hand to your driver. You will pay your driver when you arrive at your hotel.

My driver spoke passable English, and was helpful with my luggage.

If you need a return trip to the airport, there is a discount.

I found Fotaxi to be reliable, reasonable and quick.

7. Re: Fotaxi online booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 March 2013, 15:26
8. Re: Fotaxi online booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 04:15