We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
186 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

We plan to spend 3 or 4 nights in Budapest in March. In selecting a hotel/rental/etc - we're not sure which area of town would be best. We will arrive by train and leave by river cruise - don't plan to rent a car and will rely on public transport to visit the sites. Walking distance to restaurants and bars would be great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Malmö
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

District VII (Erzebetvaros) is a good area.

- Abundance of restaurants and hotels/rentals with decent prices

- Walking distance to most tourist locations

- Generally good access to public transport

More about the BPest neighbourhoods:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-s204/Budapest…

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

Basically anywhere in Pest between the inner Kor Ut (ring road*) and the river will be fine.

* marked on maps as Erzsebet/ Teresz/ Joszef/ St Istvan/ Ferenc kor ut

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

romancitizen is correct and that is a far better way to think about the center than by districts, since it includes chunks of the Vth, VIth, VIIth, VIIIth, and IXth districts, while all of those districts except the Vth extend well beyond the center (so for example, though there are parts of the VIIth that are central, there is a large part of it that extends all the way out to Dozsa Gyorgy ... which is plainly not the sort of area you are looking for

do take a look as well at the Top Question on the neighborhoods, at the top right of the forum home page

Virginia
Level Contributor
186 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

Thanks for the advice the most informative link. It will be very helpful in choosing lodging. So far looking at VRBO, Homeaway and Flipkey. Can you recommend any other webpages that offer vacation rentals that I haven't discovered?

Appreciate all the assistance. Forum members with knowledge of specific areas are an invaluable asset and have made our travels much richer.

THANKS!!!

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

This is one of the rare occasions when I post based on my experience owning and renting apartments:

For Budapest, I think those are the most reliable and comprehensive sites for rentals, and all three put you directly in contact with the owner or property manager, rather than forcing you to contract through the site (because the site exacts a commission for each transaction). I have nothing against commissions but I bristle at being forced to have my relationship with people who rent from us develop through a go-between.

Renting a vacation apartment on the internet is not about real estate, it's about trust. And that requires contact and developing a sense of who the human being is on the other side of the transaction. It's true for both sides: as a renter I want to feel confident that the apartment I think I am getting is the apartment I will get. As an owner I want to feel confident that my money and my love are not being placed into the hands of a herd of wild gazelles (or is that hooves?)

Even so, the business model seems to be shifting and you may want to look at http://airbnb.com and http://wimdu.com

And while homeaway owns the bulk of the vacation rental sites (including VRBO), the listings are not identical and you may also want to look at http://homelidays.com for example, or another of TA's holdings (beyond FlipKey): http://holiday-lettings.co.uk

Virginia
Level Contributor
186 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

Thanks John - have looked at the sites you suggested. Contacted one listing (which appeared on multiple sites) and have been in communication with the owner - as you suggested and it has been most helpful. We may be a little out of the city center - but the view is so spectacular we couldn't refuse.

Thanks for the help.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

Hi are you able to share your experience and the name of the establishment please??

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

We stayed in the Georgina Apartment near Vaci Street. tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g274887…

It was jst a couple blocks from public transportation (metro and bus) and just a short pleasant walk to restaurants, central market and a very nice grocery store. I reviewed it and would stay there again.

9. Re: What's the Best Area to Stay in Budapest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:21