We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Budapest...places to eat?

UK
Level Contributor
349 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Budapest...places to eat?

It will be our first time in Budapest in May 13 and we are staying at the Hotel Parlament. I have been looking at restaraunts on TA but still not sure where to try.We are travelling with another couple and I am kinda responsible for all the planning ,so I wanted to have some idea of where to go rather than wandering around in the evening. Our friends and my husband are eager to try hungarian food...I do not eat any red meat, pork or bacon but do like chicken, some fish and vegetarian. I would be grateful for any advice re places to eat which are within a 15 minute walk of our hotel.

Thanks in advance

S

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Hello Suzywilows,

Not being exactly sure of the budget you have in mind or if any night is a special celebration other than just being in the wonderful city of Budapest let me throws some ideas out at you. All are easily searched out on TA so you can see what other s have to say.

Café Bouchon a nice unpretentious warm, welcoming, friendly place with a strong Austro/Hungarian influenced menu with a solid kitchen, moderate prices, great wine list, and a very knowledgeable and caring staff.

Klazz great location very good atmosphere and is a contemporary interpretation of Hungarian cuisine and can be hard to get into, since they seem to be always booked and do not take reservations.(This being the only negative)

Mak Bistro a fun option with a group . Great little restaurant it is a truly friendly, chilled out, laid back style bistro - ran by a team of enthusiast young people - delivering basically Michelin star quality food in tapas portions.

Salaam Bombay The food is absolutely fantastic and I can honestly say it might be the finest curry I have ever had. Also a great option for the chicken, fish, vegetarian lover in you.

Maybe a little bit longer than 15 minutes but only slightly there is Fausto's Osteria perhaps the nicest mix of setting and food of the top end restaurants in the city. (Not as good or as costly as its counterpart Fausto's but still a solid choice)

I am sure others will chime in with more suggestions but this should get you started looking and your mouth watering at least.

Enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Edited: 13 March 2013, 23:00
UK
Level Contributor
349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Thanks SEBESZ for your replies, I will certainly look into the recomendations.Indo like Italian food very much..but I suppose I feel obligated to eat hungarian whilst there! Its not a trip to celebrate any special occasion and dont have a particular budget tho tend to stick with higher end of mid range.Really looking forward to the trip and have done lots of research and feel I know generally what we want to see and do but some how struggle with finding nice places to eat.

Thanks again.

S

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Hello again Suzie,

If real Hungarian is what you seek you may also want to look at Rosenstein for Jewish/Hungarian (not Kosher) although it will be a bit farther than a 15 minute walk but well worth it. Although it is a little more on the high end scale. The service is solid and the kitchen is top notch in my book. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g274887-d692…

Another option for very good dining would be Onyx an incredible kitchen many say it is more Continental cuisine but with the many local resources being incorporated into their dishes it does have a Hungarian flare. My wife absolutely loved the Hungarian tasting menu. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d1…

Also Bock Bistro fits the bill a more contemporary interpretation of Hungarian cuisine. I am not a big fan but many find it to be good so it is worth a look. I would suggest making reservations ahead of time should you choose it. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d8…

Also again a little farther than 15 minutes there is Borsso Bistro a very solid and serious kitchen and IMHO is one of the city's best places and completely underrated. tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d1…

Again enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

UK
Level Contributor
349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Thanks so much,great suggestions. Im sure we will all enjoy.

S

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Hi Suzy,

Arguably the best Hungarian spot in your neighborhood is KisPiac (Small Market). It's a small - six table bistro that serves wonderful local foods, and some of the finest pork, chicken and ribs anywhere in the city.

It is on Hold Utca next to Szabadsag ter. You can see more information on their Facebook page. Reservations are mandatory if eating at lunch. It's great food.

Enjoy,

Jeremy

UK
Level Contributor
349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for info, KisPiac sounds just right for a lunch time meal. I will check it out.

That was my next step, to look at Cafes for nice lunches and cakes! It does seem this trip is quite food orientated...but we will be doing more than eating! I like to get the restaraunts sorted so I wont be wasting time that could be spent sightseeing.

S

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,376 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

One of our more memorable lunches was in the Castle District at a restauant called simply 21. We sat under one of the umbrellas at a table on the street and along with a bottle of wine, IIRC we shared...

Mixed leaf salad with baked sheep cheese and tomato compote, and a Hungarian bistro plate - meat and cheese - and a basket of bread.

We even went back for a dinner on a subsequent trip. http://www.21restaurant.hu/eng/index.php

Pjk

UK
Level Contributor
349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Thanks Pjk for the link, it looks good,nice menu...we are going to the Castle District on our second day of the trip so could stay later and have dinne, or if not lunch. Is it necessary to make a reservation?

S

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,376 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

We've started making reservations for dinner even when we were there in January, off-season, when every place seemed emply. But if you are there during the day just stop in and make a dinner reservation.

I was looking at their menu. I recall this for dinner

Roasted fillet of Hungarian pike with poppy seed infused mashed potato and pak choi

I am a sucker for the pike.

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Budapest...places to eat?

Hello suzie,

Due yourself a favor IMO the castle district restaurants are just simply over rated. Although some of their offerings can be somewhat good when you try to balance and factor in price, service and atmosphere the scales do not tip in their favor. It is just simply that there are countless other restaurants in Budapest to enjoy. Maybe I am slightly jaded but I find Budapest to be a marvelous top tier restaurant city.

With that being said if you must dine in the area make your way outside the walls of the Castle with the possible exception of Speiz and even it is somewhat overpriced although the food is very very good and extremely well presented and plated., http://www.varaspeiz.hu/?lang=EN

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d2…

With that being said there are a couple in the area that are quite good if not outstanding the first being Arany Kaviar one of the city's absolute best dining experiences serving excellent food with a great atmosphere and superior service. My wife and I went to dinner with two colleagues and their wives from the university and it was fantastic It is not inexpensive and is also more of a destination dining option should you choose to have a special night out but it is outstanding on all levels. www.aranykaviar.hu/Restaurant%20Budapest/

Another place you may consider as you make your way out of the Castle area and are heading home is Dunaparti Matroz Kocsma inexpensive good food and WOW what an absolutely stunningly wonderful view of the Chain Bridge and Danube a nice spot if for nothing more than to take a break have a quick snack and cold drink. http://www.matrozkocsma.hu/fooldal

Enjoy

SEBESZ

Edited: 15 March 2013, 17:49