We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in hungary

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in hungary

Hi , we are planning to travel hungary for the first time. We have 7 nights and 8 days to spend and would like to see the rural parts of hungary along with budapest. We are going to hire a car and we were wondering whether we coul see eger, Hollovo, sopron? and whether its worth going to lake balaton as we have seen the lake district of austria before. We are interested in beautiful villages and historic towns and would be grateful if you could suggest how many days may be required for each towns. Do you think 8 days is bit too much and should i combine vienna in it or leave austria out. Dont know what to expect from hungary but surely it would be exciting

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in hungary

My family and I spent 2 weeks in Hungary last summer- people were skeptical as to why we would choose to spend so much time there but we had an absolute blast. I think you should expect to spend at least 3 days in Budapest, there is really a lot to see there (we did 5 days). If you will have a car, I would highly recommend Eger, Tokaji and/or Pecs. Not sure what your interests are, but if you like wine these are all fabulous places to taste it (particularly the latter two). We rented bicycles in Tokaji and rode through a couple of villages tasting wine along the way which was the highlight of the trip. Eger is stunning and will give you a good dose of architecture and history. Pecs is an interesting small city with lots of museums and cafes. Two nights in each of these places was perfect for us. We stopped at Holloko on our way to Eger and I was excited to see it but it was not a highlight of the trip, we just spent an hour walking through and had some lunch. I opted to leave Lake Balaton out of my itinerary as I, similarly, felt that I had seen similar lake districts. And I don't think 8 days is too much to spend in Hungary, you will have a really unique experience there and there is plenty to keep you engaged.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in hungary

Thanks, seem u really had good time there. I would make sure to have enough days in Budapest and eger. Looking forward for the trip. Thanks again.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in hungary

You will not need a car whilst in B'pest.

Don't use Budget, bunch of scumbags: I would also avoid cheap local companies, not sure what their support would be like away from Bpest.

The Hungarian drink/drive limit is ZERO - and they mean it.

4. Re: 7 days in hungary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 12:05
Penzance
Level Contributor
634 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in hungary

Hi Ashay,It only took a couple of hours to Eger by coach.lt was about £15 return as l remembered.You do see quite abit of the countryside on the trip.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 12:48
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in hungary

1. I wouldn't try to visit all three places you list, as that doesn't leave you much time in Budapest.

2. Figure that both Eger and Sopron would take a full day each.

3. Consider taking public transport (I use the train) to get to either Eger or Sopron. Getting in and out of Budapest with a car will take time, and parking the darned thing in either city would be something of a mess also. Would also be a lot more costly.

Just a few things to consider.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in hungary

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Look forward for the trip

8. Re: 7 days in hungary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:19