We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Leixlip, Ireland
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Hi i am arriving in budapest next thursday will be there for 4 days. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant to go to, its my boyfriends 30th so would like to go out for a nice meal, also any nice bars we could go to after 4 a few beers. Thanks in advance.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Hello Ciara,

The good news about the Intercontinental is that you are in the heart, with lots of solid restaurants within a 15-minute walk, some closer. What type of food/atmosphere are you after? Budapest has many great kitchens, so there is something for everyone. Share some insights and I'll share some insights. In the meantime - here are a few recommendations around the IC that are worth looking into (I have reviewed all and all are here on TA):

1. Comme Chez Soi - my favorite restaurant in the city. Small cozy setting with great service and food to match. The best foie gras in the city, fresh seafood and a mix of Hungarian and Italian specialties. Don't see it on the menu - they'll create something for you. Make reservations, and expect many free extras to help you celebrate - cash only. Likely around 30,000 HuF for two. http://www.commechezsoi.hu/index2.html A 5 minute walk from the IC

2. Gresham Restaurant in the Four Seasons - superb food in a more formal setting. Excellent service to match - with a bill that can shock. I recommend this ONLY because it's 1 minute from the IC. I think it may be a bit too formal for a 30th birthday who prefers some beers. But, the food and service are great.... fourseasons.com/budapest/…

3. Spoon - a 2 minute walk, sitting on an anchored riverboat. The primary reason to recommend this is because of the setting - the views are spectacular of the palace and chain bridge (which you may also have from your hotel room - be sure to request a room with a view). The food is solid, and the service a bit aloof but OK. http://www.spooncafe.hu/

Outside of these 3, there are many others. Let's begin to narrow down preferences and I can throw in some bars in the same general area.

Best,

Jeremy

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Hello Ciara,

Not really being sure of the type of food you like and let me suggest some ideas that hopefully you will like for a special birthday meal. All can be searched out here on TA so you can look at the respective menus for yourself.

Café Bouchon a nice casual and cozy place with an unpretentious warm, welcoming, friendly atmosphere with a strong Austro/Hungarian influenced menu. A solid kitchen, moderate prices, great wine list, and a very knowledgeable and caring staff. 15-20 5minute walk

Klazz great location very good atmosphere and is a contemporary interpretation of Hungarian cuisine and can be hard to get into, since they seem to be always booked and do not take reservations.(This being the only negative) 10-15minute walk

For a one of a kind dining experience you may want to consider Onyx quite possibly the finest kitchen in the city and one of the better in all of Europe IMO. Michelin starred with a focus on local ingredients a wonderful dining room and phenomenal service. It is one the more expensive restaurants by Budapest standards but is in line for what you get and after all it is a birthday celebration. 5 minute walk

The nice thing is once you are done dining at any of these you can hit Litz fenc ter plenty of good watering holes there.

I would drop Comme Chez Soi from your mix it is a small tight place with a sub par kitchen IMO (think warmed up microwave and then covered in garlic) My personal experience with it was memorable to say the least. Once you eliminate the over the top dog and pony show the owners will put on for you, it really is just plain and very ordinary in food, ambiance and value. Additionally pay head to the TA warning as to the places somewhat less than above board dubious practices and then ask yourself if that is the kind of place you would like to patronize. (TA's warning not mine) tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d7…

That should get you started looking and your mouth watering enjoy your trip.

SEBESZ

Leixlip, Ireland
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Thanks Jeremy F & Sebesz for getting back to me with all the info. Jeremy in relation to what i like foodwise, i'm very plain jane but am willing to try different foods, where as my boyfriend would eat anything,i would say both our favourite food would be steak. is there any good steak restaurats near us? also in relation to a watering hole once it has good beer & a bit of craic we'll be happy.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Hi Ciara,

Budapest is simply not a good place to get steak. I've lived here for a decade+ and simply avoid anything that says steak because of the poor quality. I simply focus on appetite on other solid dishes and wait for my travels abroad to order a great steak. However.....there are a few you can read about here on TA, including LaPampa (been here 6+ years) and Prime (about 1 year). I have eaten at LaPampa years back - and it was OK - the steak (ribeye) was Argentinean and was fine, but service was not great. I have not been back....so there you have it. :) And Prime - which is about a 10-minute walk from your hotel.

Thinking about a "cool" atmosphere that will be a memorable 30-birthday - that I would absolutely trust with their one beef dish (stroganoff, so not a steak) - is Arany Kaviar. A taxi ride versus walking to the Buda side by the castle. AK is one of the city's finest restaurants - really good food, excellent service, fantastic lush interior, as well as a nice garden area (with heat lamps) make this a place we frequent on occasion. Have a look at the website - and they serve much more than just caviar. Then - after dinner - walk into the castle district (200 meters) and grab a drink, enjoy the views and romantic neighborhood before venturing back to the IC via a walk over the romantic chain bridge? www.aranykaviar.hu/Restaurant%20Budapest/

Concerning pubs - Budapest is full of them. Some close to your hotel that I like include:

- Amstel River Cafe - nice long time pub, fresh beer on tap at good prices, also has solid food. Off of Vaci utca, a 10-minute walk. Párizsi u. 6.

- Jack Doyle's - Irish bar which is a 15-minute easy walk. Solid atmosphere, has live Irish music most weekends. Pilvax köz 1-3

- Oscar's (down the street from Arany Kaviar on Ostrom utca in case you go). Great small pub with mix of locals. Excellent bartenders who serve the mojito as their specialty.

- Liszt Ferenc ter - it's a 20ish minute walk from the IC, along Andrassy utca immediately before the Oktago metro stop. This square has a series of bars/restaurants where it's fun to have a drink, sit outside and people watch. Locals and tourists come here, and it can be fun when the weather is nice.

www.lapampa.hu/index.php…

http://www.primerestaurant.hu/

Arany Kaviar idea is more for a cool experience with a nice romantic castle walk after dinner. It is quite unique and a gem of a place. The owners may also help you celebrate, just contact them ahead of time.

Hope this helps some.

Jeremy

Leixlip, Ireland
Level Contributor
167 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Thanks so much Jeremy for taking your time to write such long posts back to me, i'm going to research all your recommendations & go from there. really look forward to visiting this beautiful city. Thanks again :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

Hello Claire

As to bars why not head out to one of the many ruin pubs Budapest is known for, I recommend either Szimpla Kert or Instant both nice and unique and the drinks are very reasonably priced. Both places seem to have a broad mix of clientele from locals to tourists from old to young. Cheap beers and good music only add to their pluses.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d3…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d6…

Enjoy

SEBESZ

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

As to steak ... I agreed totally with Jeremy. Totally. And was perhaps even more negative. [Note that while it's not steak, grilled meat would I think appeal as well to a person who fancies steaks and Jeremy is a huge fan of a new, tiny, place that specializes in grilled meats -- I don't think I'm misstating your enthusiasm, am I Jeremey? -- and while I am not as high on it myself, I'd add it to the list in light of what you write: Kis Piac ... very, very near your hotel, but it requires reservations as it really does seat far fewer than 20]

But back to steak. On my last visit i went to a pricey but extraordinarily good steak place, KNRDY and here's what I posted after that:

Ok, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

You can get a world class steak in Budapest; and you can get it at KNRDY.

I went there tonight more or less on the spur of the moment to celebrate my birthday (which my friends here in Budapest is also Zoltan Konrady's name day). I was not expecting much, but the company I was with would turn even disappointing food into an enjoyable meal.

When we walked in, behind the desk where the reservationist was standing there was a refrigerator case with somewhat ostentatiously labeled steaks. Large steaks. One example of each of quite a number of steaks.

The size was relatively unimportant, though they were thick enough to convey seriousness of intentions. 2.5-3 inches for the thicker ones. What was truly impressive was the marbling, serious, pervasive marbling. And the slight grey tinge around the edges, the slightly crusty dry grey that decent dry aging induces.

It's a low-key, comfortable room. Dark, muted, pretty quiet with only occasionally annoying music. The waitstaff are attentive but not pushy; not hugely expert about steaks, but having dutifully memorized the stuff they need in order to answer questions. Water glasses were constantly filled, icy tap water was plentiful (uncommon in Budapest), bottled water easily available.

The price of pretty much everything except the top of the line steaks was more or less within what one might expect in a high end restaurant in Budapest, perhaps even a bit low. The breakfast menu (the owner also has a delicatessen) is pretty steep but has a selection of international breakfast fare that's rather hard to find in Budapest.

The price of the steaks was high. Seriously high. But appropriately high. We ordered one steak for the three of us. It was a 3.1 lb (1.4 kg) porterhouse. It was the poster-steak that had greeted us on our entrance. We ordered it medium rare. It cost 40,000 HUF or $174 at today's exchange rate or 133 Euros or 116 Pounds.

It was a steak that I might have bought at my butcher shop in NYC -- deep prime, well-aged -- for about $90. I could have ordered something like it in a restaurant in NYC for perhaps $150. Not outrageous that it would cost $174 in Budapest ... including VAT, not to mention the fact that someone probably had to buy it a Business Class seat to get it over here.

Perfectly cooked, presented with a grilled tomato half and a grilled mushroom cap; excellent sides of curried corn and duck fat roasted potatoes. Flavorful, impressive steak, right texture, not too much salt, perfect crust. It could have been aged a bit more for me, but every piece of meat is different and anyway that's just me. I could have done without the gigantic steak knife or the huge trough of a plate that my knife kept sliding down into. I would have preferred a less whole-wheat-y bread, but the bread was very good, as was the butter. I would have put the side salad that we ordered into a larger bowl. I might have picked a different recipe for the pecan pie (or the makos tuba) -- both were very good but neither pressed our respective comfort food memory buttons because of stylistic choices by the chef.

Do any of these picky details matter? Not in the slightest.

Does the price? Well, if you're not on an expense account or a person of great wealth you should be aware that to do well at this place you should expect to spend $100/person without drinks (but with VAT and service).

Should you eat steak in Budapest? A whole passel of other people were doing that all around me; as best I could tell not a single one of them Hungarian other than my friends. This place provides as good a reason for doing so as any I can imagine.

A very impressive place; humbling; filling, so filling that it's something of a challenge after that meal to have to come home and also eat my words.

But there it is. Totally, utterly, assertively, authoritatively blows the city's other steak places out of the water. They should come and take lessons.

At a table in the corner a friend of mine spied the owner of Costes (Budapest's first Michelin-starred restaurant). He seemed to be enjoying himself. We certainly were.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 21:58
8. Re: restaurants near intercontinental budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 06:16