We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

We will be travelling to Budapest in May of this year and contacted a private tour guide for a city tour on the first day. He also recommended doing a Danube Bend tour the second day that includes visits to Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre and lasts about 7 hours. If I will only be in Budapest for 3 days, do you guys think it is worth it to use a full day visiting these places? Or do you recommend using all 3 days visiting the sights inside the city? It will be my first time there, and even though I dont have a particular interest that I want to dive into (i.e: architecture, music), I would like to get a good overview of the city, its people and its history.

Thanks for your help!

White Umbrella Tours Budapest
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Budapest Bike Breeze
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
My Personal Budapest
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Budapest TukTuk
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

Hello AMACE

IMHO you will be better off focusing your time on the city itself so many sights to see and things to do you will barely have time for them with just 3 short days.

I know its human nature to try and squeeze in a much as you can but there are only so many hours in a day

SEBESZ

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

Thank you Sebesz,

From reading other posts, I think you might be right. Besides, I dont know how feasible it is to go to these 3 towns in a 8-hour tour considering the time it takes to reach them.

Have you been to all 3? Is any of them more worthy of a visit than others?

I was also considering taking a half day trip to Szentendre only (since its the closest one) maybe just go in the morning and come back after lunch

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

AMACE

Yes I have and they all have their own unique plus and minuses. My wife was a big fan of all three with Szentendre being her favorite, me not so much so. I found it to be quaint a little to touristy yet it is a beautiful little town just MHO. But I have been to Budapest so often in the last 3 years and there is still so much I want to see and do I am like an unhappy child when you pull me away LOL (just my own personal quirk)

With that being said here is a link you may find useful tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-s407/Budapest…

Hope this helped

SEBESZ

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

As you have such a short time, I think it would be a waste of a day - I am not a fan of Visegrad (it's OK if you happen to be passing through, but not worth a special visit). Actually I am not a fan of this sort of tour anywhere, as you tend to spend a lot of time on the bus.

You can catch a HEV train to Szentendre from Batthyany Ter metro station: as Sebesz says, it is a bit touristy (it was an artist's colony even during communist times), and it won't give you an idea of what life in an ordinary Hungarian town is like - Vac would be better for that, on the other riverbank. Outside of Szentendre is a skanzen, a museum of rural life, lots of fascinating buildings and artefacts, which is worth a couple of hours, you can get a bus from the bus station, or simply take a taxi from the train station.

You can also get to Szentendre by boat - you could catch the train there and boat back.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

Hi there,

We will be visiting Budapest for four nights in August. I've been to Budapest several times and my wife has never been there. I'm in a similar situation. I've never seen te Danube Bend but very intrigued and would provide an opportunity to see the country side of Hungary. Remember budapest is a rather large city.

honestly, you can do the belvaros, cross over to Buda to the Bastion by foot in one day. Then if you want to take in some of the museums and baths that would be extra. Cabs are relatively inexpensive so you can hop from one spot to another if you plan accordingly. For example seeing the Citadella in Buda is awesome but take a cab to go there. You should do some research as to what you really want to see in Budapest. By doing that you will have freed up some time. you want some background on sights in Budapest, Rick Steeves has a great book.

On another note, I'm looking for a private guide to take us through the danube bend. This would be difficult to do on your own especially if you have limited time. Can you send me the co-ordinates of this tour person at busn325@hotmail.com.

Also if you have any additonal questions about Budapest, please feel free to let me know

6. Re: Danube Bend Tour (Esztergom, Visegrád & Szentendre)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 07:16