We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Budapest in September..

Ireland
Level Contributor
395 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Budapest in September..

Hi,

I was looking through hotel prices and the search engine I was using was telling me that my dates, which are 13-17th of september are more expensive due to events that are happening in the city at that time! I did some research and I see that there is a 'National Gallop' on and a Craft Beer Fair!

My question is, is it worth my while visiting Budapest while these events are happening or should I go the following week when it will be more quiet, as I presume the city must go to a standstill while these festivals are on and if we were to get taxis traffic would be very slow?!

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

Hello lovehospitality1234

Well it really depends on you and if you have a desire to attend either of these events.

As to the city coming to a stand still during theses two events that is not the case, yes near the area where they are taking place their will be more congestion of people but certainly not enough to disrupt the city as a whole.

Best

SEBESZ

Ireland
Level Contributor
395 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

Thank you for the fast reply!

I would not to bothered if I missed the festivals to be honest. But if they are worth being around the city for we would go as It could certainly add to our trip! I wonder would there be many , if any people drunk roaming the streets after the beer fair!!

Would you recommend the festivals or have you been to either one?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

Hello lovehospitality1234

This has been discussed may times on the forum and as with many questions there are often many different opinions.

Here is a link that may interest you as to the Beer festival No I have not been but have been to the wine and Palinka festivals and yes there were quite a few inebriated individuals. tripadvisor.com/…48038333

Best

SEBESZ

Edited: 29 April 2013, 19:44
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

Sorry, but this in neither Britain nor Ireland. Drunk people wont be roaming the streets, These are family events.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

drunk people do not "roam the streets" in Britain or Ireland if there is a beer festival on

generally men with beards and glasses drink a lot of ale and go home pie eyed

its the stag does that arent too pretty :-)

to the OP Budapest is a big enough city that stuff can be going on and you wouldnt notice it

Budapest is roughly 4 times the size of Dublin if that helps

cheers

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

Tony, that should be 'quietly go home pie eyed'.

l m
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

Taxis are rarley need as Budapest has one of the greatest transport systems in Europe, probably the best eastern europe.. I have spent 5 months there and i believe that its better of during these events. No i havent been to them tho

Being a capital city how quiet do you expect it really be?

Alcohol fueled violence isnt an issue in Hungary, I was quite surprised to be honest but the people are great.. They can be civil and calm unlike the brittish drinkers. If you get trouble it will be a tourist i assure you..

Unfortunately SOME taxis are out to rip unsuspecting ppl off i would suggest MaxiTazi as they are legit. . Few drivers will speak english but if you have the address you will have no worries trust me.

I recommend you google taxi mafia budapest

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Europe
Europe
World
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

Please .......enough of the offensive generalisations about "British drinkers". We are not all that bad,some of us are very calm and civillised!!!

S

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

suzy its just the way we are stereotypically viewed by a lot of europe

every country seems to have some kind of out dated stereotype

the more I travel the more the lines become blurred

:-)

tony

10. Re: Visiting Budapest in September..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 05:17