We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning! Look at menu prices before you order

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gilmer, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Warning! Look at menu prices before you order

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Budapest that was marred a little by an incident we had at a restaurant. We were tired from a long day of sightseeing, still a little jet lagged and very hungry. It was late...around 9:30 because we had taken the sunset boat ride on the Danube. We tried to eat at several restaurants recommended on TripAdvisor but everyone had closed their food service. Walking back somewhere between Verosmarty Ter and the Intercontinental Hotel, a "hawker" lured us to his restaurant with a promise of good food, drinks, prices and quiet music. No one was inside the bar/restaurant so we sat outside and immediately ordered drinks--a beer, a glass of house wine, a cosmopolitan, and a coke. Then we opened our menu to order food and I glanced at the beverages where I immediately realized that the prices were outrageous! My friend's cosmo was $29, my wine was $19 and others were equally expensive. I wanted to just leave but my friend (being the ethical person that she is) said we couldn't because we had ordered. Our order arrived, and we told the waitress to bring our check...which was $78!!! And the cosmo was purple and tasted like it contained no vodka. The hawker returned to check on us and we complained so he went inside and yelled at the waitress which we realized ( when we paid our bill and left) was a sham because they both stood at the door and laughed at us. I wish I could better describe where this restaurant was...the sign on it said PUB Etterem Ristorante but many restaurants have similar names and I do not want to write a review on the wrong establishment. Most of all, this is just a warning to "be aware" because it could happen anywhere, in any country. And, you feel like such a fool when it happens to you!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning! Look at menu prices before you order

Hi seaski,

I cannot express enough how much I hate that people prey on unsuspecting tourists.....no doubt it leaves a black eye on this otherwise wonderful city. I would certainly appreciate a favor - can you contact the US Embassy in Budapest and share your story? The reason for my request is that they post establishments in the city that sham people. Potentially this could be added to that list. It's one step in fighting back.

You mentioned the prices in the menu - were they (food and drink) listed clearly?

Next time I'm down at Vorosmarty ter I will use your description to find the place, and post the name and address.

Please come back - and contact we locals next time. We'll take excellent care of ya! ;)

Jeremy

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning! Look at menu prices before you order

that is a horrible experience for you

we had the same type of tout trying to lure us in to cafe pertu on vaci utca

a quick look at tripadvisor confirmed my fears and we did not enter

I know its a bad spot to be in but if its too late for proper dinner,

we would always err towards fast food rather than an empty place

good luck next time

tony

3. Re: Warning! Look at menu prices before you order

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:19