We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Hungary

Geelong australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Hungary

Will have four days in Budapest in late September. Looking for suggestions including possible day trips from Budapest by train.

All suggestions welcome.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Hungary

Do you mean 4 FULL days plus 2 more for arrival and departure, or four days including arrival and departure.

If the latter I suggest you will find plenty to fill your time in Budapest alone.

If the former, Pecs andEger are favourites: it is also just about possible to do a day trip to Vienna, if you are prepared to get up early.

Geelong australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Hungary

Thanks for your advice .. 4 full days

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Hungary

With 4 full days, I think I'd only take a day trip to Eger or possibly Sopron or Vienna. Pecs can (sorts) be managed in a very long day, but is far better with an overnight stay. That means that a sizable part of 2 of your 4 days would be partly spent in travelling to and from Pecs. I think you really need 3 full days for Budapest.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,571 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Hungary

The two things I enjoyed the most in Budapest were a trip to the baths, especially this one ---> http://www.szechenyibath.com/ and a winwe tasting here ---> tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g274887-d1…

The General Free Budapest walking tour is a good way to get to know the city and some of its history.

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,376 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Hungary

Hello viewsend

With such a small amount of time in Budapest and so many wonderful things to see and do you may find yourself short on time just for Budapest.

But with that being said you may want to take a look at this link it may give you some inspiration as to short day trips you can do and still get back to town to enjoy some more of it in a single day. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-s407/Budapest…

I understand the idea of wanting to see and do as much as you can when on holiday and yes Australia is quite a distance to travel so it is easily understandable to want to fit all that you can into a holiday. But sometimes in doing so, you never really get to enjoy it and when you get back home it all feels like a blur rather than really focusing on one spot and taking it in to its fullest.

Enjoy your travels

SEBESZ

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Hungary

I agree with SEBESZ that Australia is too far away for a day trip. Austria might be a little more doable.

There are several places close by for a day trip. Tihany is beautiful and gives a good feel of Lake Balaton.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g274918-Activiti…

Szekesfehervar has more history than perhaps any other town in Hungary. It has a castle, good food, and makes a very easy day trip, perhaps the easiest from Budapest.

tripadvisor.com/QuickGuide-g274913-Szekesfeh…

You could also visit Godollo or Holloko or both in a day.

Geelong australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for Hungary

Thank you all so much for your ideas. I am about to print them off

Can't wait to get there

Geelong australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for Hungary

Thanks Sebesz,

Yes excellent advice, we shall try not to do too much and enjoy what we see

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for Hungary

Székesfehérvár, despite its name (vár=castle, fortress), doesnt have a castle. If you are refering to Bory-castle, thats a small home-made statue park in a home-made "fort". The old fortress of the city is long gone, along with our coronation cathedral. One can view its ruins in the centre, but thats not much.

10. Re: Ideas for Hungary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 11:35