We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Accommodation Location - Xmas Markets & Lights

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Accommodation Location - Xmas Markets & Lights

I will be briniging my young children (5 & 7 years old) to Budapest in early Dec for 3 nights to sample the Winter / Christmas delights of markets, illuminations, ice skating etc etc. I want to be as centrally located as possible for accommodation, given their age and walking ability etc.

As such, can you please advise the most trully central location to sample Budapest's Xmas delights, espeically which streets will be best for Xmas illuminations etc.

Many thanks.

Chris

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Accommodation Location - Xmas Markets & Lights

Hello CMH,

You should target properties close to Vorosmarty ter and Vaci utca - home to central Budapest's largest Christmas market. This area will be decorated with wonderful decorations and lights - making even the 'scrooges' walk away with just a bit of good feeling! Your children can enjoy the market with good local food, some neat crafts and gifts and seeing locals and visitors from all over the planet.

Not knowing your hotel likes or budget target - the following list are core hotels closest to the market. Marriott (all rooms have fantastic views of the palace, chain bridge - really awesome views), Intercontinental (same views but not from all rooms), Marriott Millennium (apartment like rooms), LeMerdien, Kempinski, Four Seasons. Share your target budget and we can offer alternatives as necessary. Budapest has many great hotels.

Concerning ice skating, Budapest has one of the most spectacular ice rinks anywhere. The setting is just marvelous just off of Hero's Square with a wonderful view into City Park. If staying in the center, you can take the metro from Vorosmarty Ter to Hero's Square and have a 300ish meter walk. More info here - budapest.com/city_guide/sights/monuments_of_…

Other children's activities I might suggest - especially if there is snow in the Buda hills include the chairlift and children's railway. The chairlift takes you to one of the highest peaks in the Buda hills and offers expansive panaroamic views on the way back down the hill. Really nice, especially with a hot drink in your hands. The railway takes you through the Buda hills round-trip in about 2 hours. The winding railway offers nice views of the area including some peeks into the city and further away into the green expanses of the area. More info are here - visitbudapest.travel/activities/… and www.gyermekvasut.hu/english/chrw_home.php

You may also want to target an evening boat ride. While there's not a lot of Christmas lights to see from the river, these rides are superb in being able to take in the picturesque architecture lining the Budapest riverbanks. And at night they come alive with the wonderful lighting the city has implemented across the years.

Share a bit more with us and we'll do our best.

Jeremy

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Accommodation Location - Xmas Markets & Lights

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Jeremy - very much appreciated.

I won't waste any more of your time on accommodation until i do my own searching based on your location advice. If I get a specific question I will get back to you.

Many thanks again.

Chris Harding

3. Re: Best Accommodation Location - Xmas Markets & Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 05:17