We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-day Itinerary in mid-July

Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3-day Itinerary in mid-July

I’ll arrive in Budapest Friday, July 12 and leave Tuesday, July 16 as part of a larger trip to central Europe. It’s my understanding most shops close early Saturday and are closed Sunday, while museums are closed Monday so I know I’ll have to budget my time well. Visiting museums aren’t a top priority as I’ll have a two year old in a stroller who can only endure so much, so I’ve come up with the following itinerary and was hoping for some advice. Does it seem doable or am I trying to pack in too much with too little time?

Saturday, July 13 - Castle Hill

• Cross the Chain Bridge into Buda

• Take funicular up the hill

• Royal Palace

• Hungarian National Gallery

Matthias Church (when will the reno’s be done?)

• Fisherman’s Bastion (is the café here worth it?)

Sunday, July 14 – Andrassy Ut, Heroes Square, and City Park

• Start in Vörösmarty Tér. Walk towards Andrassy Ut via Deák Ferenc Tér and Erzsébet Tér.

• Tour the Opera House

• Explore Heroes Square

• Stroll through City Park and Vajdahunyad Castle grounds

• Széchenyi Baths

Monday, July 15 – walk around Leopold Town, Teresa Town, and Pest

Parliament (is it worth touring the inside?)

• Shoes on the Danube memorial

• Walk to Freedom Square passing by Etnographical Museum and Hungarian TV buildings to view exteriors

• Inner City Market Hall (worth it if we plan to visit Grand Market Hall?)

• St. Istvan Bascilica

• Roosevelt Tér

• Walk along bank of Danube towards Vaci utca

• Kamermeyer Tér

• Ferenciek Tér

• Serbian Orthodox Church

• Great Market Hall

• Dohány Synagogue

Are there any must-stop-at shops? I enjoy collecting authentic souvenirs representative of the local area ... any suggestions other than Herend or Zsolany?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Europe
Europe
World
Castle Hill
Castle Hill
9,294 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Matthias Church
Matthias Church
7,680 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Heroes' Square
Heroes' Square
9,566 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Parliament
Parliament
30,785 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class and Market Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours
Cold War Private Tours Budapest
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Guidehungary - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Guide Hongrie
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,966 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-day Itinerary in mid-July

Matthias Church (when will the reno’s be done?)

I don't know but I thought the restoration made the church more interesting. You can maybe watch one or two men reconstruct the floor, tile by tile...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

And be sure to go up to the gallery which is through a door and up a staircaase on the right.

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

• Fisherman’s Bastion (is the café here worth it?)

I think so if for only a drink and for the views

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Matthias Church
Matthias Church
7,680 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-day Itinerary in mid-July

Hi Tex_Bab,

I really enjoy helping guests who've done some homework - and it's clear you have. Undoubtedly, your itinerary is packed, but let me share my thoughts:

1. I don't think the Castle District will eat an entire day, depending upon your travel style and how long you want to spend in the museum. I'd think 5-6 hours tops. And you may want to add the walking path on the 'backside' of the castle offering great views into the Buda hills. Especially nice in the day as it's tree shaded almost the whole way. Want a solid lunch at a fair price (difficult to find in the castle), try Speiz.

2. Close to the Vienna gate of the castle there is a small park that your young one may appreciate. The Vienna gate is at the north end (opposite the palace). Exit the gate and turn right immediately and you will see green lawn with a sidewalk. Take the sidewalk down a few steps and the park will be there on your right.

3. I'm not certain if you're speaking of the former MTV building (television building), but if yes - behind that building sits Szabadsag ter which is a nice green area with a park, a fountain that kids love to play in, a Reagan statue and a Soviet Memorial. A nice space that also includes a cafe in the middle. May be a good place to grab a break.

4. Kossuth ter around the parlement is an absolute mess with construction. I was there today and there is now a fence erected around the whole of parlament that offers very little views. I'm not certain tours are even happening, but if they are - it's worth it. As it's about 30 minutes and offers excellent insights into this Gem Along the Danube.

5. You will see the city is a city of strolling, cafe's, a somewhat casual (but sometimes frenzied) pace. And for the most part the city is very walkable, with a cafe seemingly every 100 meters. Expect some cobblestone across the city - and in many places in the castle so it may make for a bit of a bumpy stroller ride.

Souvenirs? Hand-made shoes from Buday or Vass? Crystal from Ajka?

Have a great time enjoying this awesome city.

Jeremy

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
3. Re: 3-day Itinerary in mid-July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 10:28
4. Re: 3-day Itinerary in mid-July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:22