We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessibility in Budapest

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
371 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessibility in Budapest

I'm travelling to Budapest with my brother, who is in a wheelchair. We're staying at the Hotel Intercontinental on the Pest side of the Danube. Could anyone tell me what bars, restaurants and interesting sights are within walking distance, as I understand public transport is not wheelchair-friendly.

Many thanks.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Budapest

hi,

there are a lot, the main shopping street with lots of restaurants, bars, cafés is just a corner away, or the st stephan's basilic, or the chainbridge, so there are a lot of things. intercontinental is in the heart of the city.

s-tee

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Budapest

The hotel intercontinental is in heart of the city. You'll get what I view to be the most impressive thing about Budapest without even leaving your room...theview of the Duna (Danube) at night.

You'll be at the starting point for a bus tour that will take you to all the major sites, and if I'm not mistaken, the bus is wheelchair friendly. This bus has a few stops throughout the city and runs about 4000 HUF per person.

You can also get the the Parliment, Vaci Ut (the main shopping street with stores and restaurants, St. Stephens Basillica is a hike, but doable, you should be able to access boat tours. In fact, I'm not sure there's much you can't do except for visiting Oktogon and the various coffee shops along that street, but even that may be able to be done by getting off at Hero's Square on the tour bus. By the way, for this tour bus, you can get multiple day passes, you'll just have to make sure you schedule your trip much more carefully.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Budapest

We have extensive experience with disabled child (110 lbs) in Budapest. How old (or how heavy) is your brother, what type of wheelchair &/or transport chair, what prior experience with using the chair in public transport (including on escalators, etc.) with your assisting, is he able to stand of step up with assistance, etc. ? With a standard adult wheelchair public transportation will be a problem. However, much of what you want to do you can walk to in Pest. Some buses are much easier than others to get onto with assistance, it depnds of the route on which bus model is used. If you can hold & balance a pushchair (such as a British McLaren model suitable for children) and master the techniques, most public transport is possible for your brother, with your help. Even a similar but adult size version of a folding push chair can be maneuvered onto trams and most buses by tilting back and putting the front wheels on the top & lifting the rest of the chair onto the tram or bus.

However, on the three Metro lines you have to learn which Metro stops have escalators that go to the top, not just the mezzanine level - such as: Klinikak, Ors Vezer tere, Deak, Moskva ter, Nyugati (thru the dept store escalators or all the way the other direction in the mezzanine to Westend City Center), Batthyany, Deli, etc. There are virtually no lifts in the metro stations (but the Millenium metro - yellow line has a few stops with fold-out transport lifts that are on a rail along the stairs , if you can get soomeone to operate it). If your brother can get up/down a flight of steps you can use any Metro stop by taking the chair to the top or bottom and helping him go on the stairs. From Metro platform onto the train there is no step up or down. On the other hand, perhaps your brother uses a standard wheelchair which he is truly adept in using independently. If so, we have seen a few fellows who at the extradinary lengthy and fast Moskva ter escalator would spin around and back onto the escalator for the 90+ second descent down to the platform!

Because of the use of underground mezzanine passageways at many intersections (where the ring roads curve around sections of Pest) some of those intersections will impede walking with someone in a wheelchair. Some restaurants may be impossible for wheelchair users, bu tthere are plenty of others that are good.

With all the time we spent in Budapest, we became masters of the use of public transportation and almost never used cabs (and then ONLY City taxi and some of the others that dispatch) but you will not have the same ability to familiarize with the peculiarities of the very enjoyable city. You will still both have a great time.

Best of luck

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Budapest

Hi all

Thank you so much for all your invaluable help and advice - I feel much better informed now. 954800 - my brother is a middle aged man and quite a heavy one! His wheelchair, however, is very light and pushing him distances will be no real problem. Thank you so much for writing such a comprehensive and helpful reply.

Thank you all once again - we're really looking forward to exploring lovely Budapest next week!

5. Re: Wheelchair accessibility in Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 01:16