We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

NJ
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

My family and I will be traveling to Budapest next month (August) for a few nights. We have recently found out (yesterday in fact!) that my ancestors came from a village a ways outside of Budapest called something like "Tornyos Palca" (my mom doesn't know the exact spelling). I was wondering if anyone out there might possibly have knowledge of this village and where it is located. If it's too far for a day trip, would it be possible to do an overnight trip from Budapest? (I don't necessarily think that being several hours away automatically makes it not do-able as we have been known to do crazy things in the past....such as drive almost across the US in 3 days, just to spend 2 days in our 49th state to visit (we have now done all 50!), just to then drive 3 days back home so the kids wouldn't miss school!)

I would appreciate any input - thank you in advance! :-)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

Dear AlmostFiftyStates,

https://maps.google.hu/maps…

Tornyospálca is a small village in northeast Hungary near the border of Ukraine. It's 300 km from Budapest so it's not a short drive.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

It is possible - though not advisable - to do this by train: the public transport system in Budapest is quick and reliable, outside of Budapest it is a different story. On many occasions in the past I have felt it would be quicker to get off and walk. The MAV site gives this as a 6-7 hour journey...

I suggest you hire a car - make sure you set off early to avoid the rush hour, which begins around 06:30, if possible get the car the previous evening, any decent hire company will deliver to your hotel. I have used Fox in the past, excellent: avoid Budget.

The journey is indeed about 300km, approx 210 miles, but most of it is on motorway (freeway I think you call it). You should be able to do it in 3.5 hours.

Be aware that it is unlikely that anyone in the village will speak much English - does any member of your family speak Hungarian ?

Whether you do an overnight depends on what you want to do: do you want to try and find any rellies - or graves - or do you just want to have a look ? The local priest may be able to help about rellies, and he may speak some English.

It is also unlikely that there is anywhere decent to stay - if you do decide to stay the night - which I think is a good idea - Nyiregyhaza is quite close, and is a nice town. I would avoid Zahony.

An advantage of an overnight is that you could head to Tokaj or Eger on the way back next day.

Doing a search I found this, it would appear that the chuch records (more than one church) are available.

…ancestry.co.uk/localities.ceeurope.hungary.…

The village can also be found on facebook, though the postings I found are in Hungarian.

https:/…

If you do decide to drive, come back to us, and I will post some advice about driving in Hungary.

Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

Thinking about it, 300km is 188 miles, not 210 !

In the fullness of time a guy called donbacsi (uncle don) may respond - he knows the area better than me. If he doesn't, try sending him a private mail, a search on the forum will find him.

NJ
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

Thank you so much! You have given me much to go on.......so exciting! :-)

NJ
Level Contributor
67 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

Do you know how far this village is located from Miskolctapolca? For some reason, I am having difficulty locating the two on a map. Thank you! :-)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

About 150 kms, depending on what route one takes. You must use accented letters, if you wish to find the settlements, so its not "palca", but "pálca".

7. Re: Any knowledge of a village called Tornyos Palca(or similar)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:17