We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orangeways - Do Not Use

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Orangeways - Do Not Use

We had a horrible horrible experience with this company and have also spoken to many others who have had terrible experiences with them in the past few years.

We arrived 30 minutes early in order to find the bus station, which turned out to be a bus stop with very little indication that it was there let alone any shelter of any sort (it was well into the 30's that day so some sort of shade would have been appreciated). The other passengers all arrived 15 minutes before but the buses only arrived when they were supposed to leave. There was two buses but no indication as to which bus was going to which destination.

We asked the gentlemen putting luggage into a bus if the bus was going to Prague, he told us he thought so but to check with 'that girl' we had no idea this girl worked for orangeways until that moment, she had no uniform was just wearing jeans and ugly t-shirt and an orange scarf. We waited our turn in the heat while she flirted with a group of Australians making comments about 'Sl*t Americans' that she is sick of (She had just been screamed at by an American girl getting off the bus) she checked our documentation and wrote our names on a piece of paper along with our seat numbers, we asked her if the bus was going to Prague she said the bus was making multiple stops, so we asked again and she confirmed that our bus was going to Prague.

Three and a half hours later the girl made an announcement "Welcome to your final destination Vienna" my boyfriend and I were stunned, I optimistically said to myself well for some people this is the final destination! Then we were the only people left on the bus... The girl got back onto the bus to clean it, so we asked if the bus was continuing to Prague, she laughed and said no. We were in shock! We asked what to do, she said the only thing they could do is take us back to Budapest so we could catch the next bus to Prague a few hours later... We didn't really know what to do so stayed on the bus. Yes we could have caught a bus from Vienna to Prague but were given no help whatsoever so stayed on the bus!

She had gotten off the bus very quickly after telling us to stay on without any indication of when the bus was leaving or going to arrive back in Budapest and as we were according to her going to be catching another bus from there we wanted more information so my boyfriend got off the bus to ask her for more information. She was extremely unhelpful saying that we would make it in time (not actually telling her what time) he at this point got very upset and told her she needed to make sure her manager was there at the other end as he would like to speak to someone about the situation, she said it was not possible without any explanation as to why, just a no. My boyfriend kept at her until she said okay.

She had been on the phone on the bus several times. At other points she had been talking and laughing with some other passengers pointing at us.

I managed to use wifi at a petrol station to find out what time the next bus to Prague from Budapest was (I was doubtful that there even was one at that point) and it didn't look like we were going to make it, so I went and asked her if we were going to or not, she said yes yes sit down, I then confirmed with her that her manager would be there, she paused and said no worries.

When we arrived back in Budapest there was another bus ready and waiting at the stop, although we assumed this was out bus we weren't about to just get on another bus! So we waited while she spoke to some other passengers, whom I ended up being more help to than she was! After she had 'helped' the passenger she just walked off! She saw us waiting and just walked away! This girl who had wasted 8 hours of our day was going to just leave us in a foreign city in the middle of the night (it was 11:30pm) at a bus stop. Disgraceful. He tried to get her name so we could make a complaint about what had happened and she refused to give it, she ended up screaming at him 'I don't even care about you', which as a customer service representative is plain disgusting. My boyfriend went a little haywire at this point and I admit did behave quite badly.

I approached the version of her who was looking after the other bus and explained to him our situation, he had no idea what was going on, thankfully he was happy to let us on the bus without a ticket for that bus, which in my opinion says that this was not the first time this had happened! The blank look on his face told me that although this girl had been on the phone multiple times she had not bothered to let this bus know that we needed a seat on it and therefore had no clue whether or not we were even going to be able to get on it?!

Needless to say we were outraged by the whole situation.

Our bus ride from Budapest to Prague was not great in itself, the drivers stopped every time they saw a petrol station so they could have a cigarette making our bus over an hour late.

The buses themselves.....

The bus between Budapest and Vienna: OLD, worse than a school bus, no toilet, no wifi, no air-conditioning. All were advertised.

The bus between Budapest and Prague: Toilet (thank god), wifi for ten minutes at the start and end of journey, air-con that was barely on.

Do not use this company they are beyond a joke, we did it to save money but honestly I'd rather spend twice the as much and actually end up where I am supposed to. We would not have been as angry if the girl had simply apologised to us and made an effort to help us instead of sending us back to where we'd come from, it was the behaviour that we were upset by more than the mistake.

53 replies to this topic
Malmö
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

What a terrible way of handling your customers.

I would probably have cut my losses in Vienna and just go for an alternative transport Vienna-Prague, there are plenty options. Partly to save time (Vienna is kind of midway between Budapest and Prague), partly because I would be too pissed off to have anything more to do with them.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

Sadly 24 years after the fall of communism Hungarians still have a LOT to learn about customer service.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

If you want to get the bus between Budapest and Prague, use Studentagency www.studentagency.eu - there are two daily buses that cost €23 studentagency.cz/jizdenky/videa/index.html

Otherwise the train is the cheapest - from €19 in advance.

I'm not sure how on your bus they managed the get the wi-fi working at the beginning and the end of the journey as usually it will only work in the country in which the bus is registered, i.e. for Orangeways only in Hungary, or Studentagency only in Czech Republic, etc.

I'm confused as to which service you actually DID get, as there is only one Orangeways service between Budapest and Prague, and that is at 16:00, arriving at midnight. Then there is another overnight one by a different company at 22:30 which originates in Sofia or somewhere like that, so they might have taken pity on you. Other than the aforementioned Studentagency (was the bus you got big, modern and bright yellow with individual touchscreens?), there are no other buses. Which website did you use to book your tickets?

Wien
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

I had even worth experience with them - I was going from Vienna to Budapest last Friday evening. And we waited for bus for three hours, they were sending SMS that bus is late. But after three hours waiting they said that bus is canceled. It was about 22:30! And after it they even don't want to get me my money back! I'm calling to them every day.

Don't use them!

Budapest
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

I was also very disappointed with the bus's management. Last week, my friends and I went to Prague from Budapest with the Orangeways and it was okay. I also ordered the return ticket from the same bus company. My departure's schedule from Prague was supposedly on 15.30 from Florenc Bus Station. On my way to reach the station, I had to rush, run, and it was quite crazy because I only had limited time. I had arrived just in time and found no bus at the platform. So I asked the Orangeways agent inside the information centers. The staff just behaved unprofessionally and informed us about the cancellation. He said that he did not know the reason behind the cancellation. Yeah, I could accept that, but he said no sorry and it was not nice. I was mad since the next bus will be at 23.00 and Orangeways was not responsible at all. It did not sent SMS nor email's notification. Hello Orangeways, you should improve, otherwise you will ruined!

Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
721 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

This is one helluva stupid comment, I am sorry mate.

Depok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

I am just about to book the ticket from The website.... So how do i get to budapest from Vienna in most reliable but cheapest way, surely i will not use orange ways after read the reviews.... There are also a good review but it was posted in 2010

Edited: 10 November 2013, 17:55
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

Www.OEBB.at by train. It costs from €19, but don't leave it too late as tickets at that price are limited in number.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

"Sadly 24 years after the fall of communism Hungarians still have a LOT to learn about customer service."

Really? Why would you single out Hungarians here? To be completely honest, there are scam/poor companies like this operating in every major city in the world, including the ones who have never had the mis-fortune of being influenced by communism. Also, it's easy for us in such countries (like US, UK, etc) to criticize progress or lack-there-of in some of these countries but try to place your own country in that situation... do you really think you would have all of the kinks worked out in just over 2 decades after over 4 decades of those horrendous policies?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orangeways - Do Not Use

back to the topic, I have heard very good things about the Student Agency buses. Personally, I just prefer train travel for a variety of reasons. The routes are general more scenic, you can get up and walk around freely whenever you want, there are decent eating option on many trains, and, I have yet to see or hear of any train where ALL of the toilets were out of commission. You have none of these guarantees on a bus ;)

Reply to: Orangeways - Do Not Use
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted