We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Budapest now anh have another question

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
542 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
In Budapest now anh have another question

We are here until Saturday morning and would like to cover the following sights -- could you please advise on what makes geographical sense to do together, and how much to allot for each place? We are 2 adults and a 16 year old boy:

Szechenyi baths -- is this recommended for a full day?

Caving.-- does this take a full day?

Hospital in the rock

House of terror

Great market. What time does this open and close?

Shoes on the Danube

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,153 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

We spent a full afternoon at the Szechenyi baths, approx 4 hours, which was more than we expected to stay but seemed like a good amount of time. It broke down to about an hour inside in several of the heated or chilled pools, then three hours outside sampling the larger pools. You could do something in the morning then go back to wherever you are staying for your things and do an afternoon at the baths.

And FWIW, I didn't thing the Hospital in a rock was worth the time.

Pjk

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
349 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

What do you mean by "caving"? There are many caves in Budapest but most arenot available for casual tourists althogh I've been told there are companies that guide in the Matyas-hegy system. Check www.dinpi.hu and after opening the English language version of the site open the "Demonstration Sites" tab. I've only visited the PálvölgyiCave - about 15 years ago. If you want to reach that cave by public transportation: take the M2 to Batthyany ter (or 4/6 tam to the Margit hid stop - there will be an announcement of the stop in English on the tram HEV & walk down to the train stop) go up the escalator and turn left in the plaza (before going outside the station area to the surface) and get on any of the HEV 5 suburban trains (all go north). You then need to transfer to the 29 bus that goes up the hill where the cave is located. If you want to go straight to the cave get off the HEV train at Szepvolgyi ut stop (only two stops from Batthyany. The 29 bus stop is over on the other side of the HEV track on the street that parallels the HEV track and the bus will be coming southbound and will turn right onto Szepvolgyi ut immediately after the bus stop. The bus will go up the hill (you can walk up) a couple of stops and the cave is up at a corner street. where the bus goes to the left but the stop is up the hill and you will have to walk back down to the corner at Szepvolgyi ut, as I recall - if you do not get off before that. Maybe a half day adventure, at most.

Alternatively, you can take the HEV to the Arpad hid (Sentelek) stop and catch the 29 bus in the circle adjacenty to the HEV platform. This is in Obuda and there is the Vasarelly Museum right there and the nearby Imre Varga Museum and the Roman ruins close by under the highway/street intersection at Florian ter, There's so much to do In Budapest - are you certain you want to wander off to do this cave business?

Hospital in the Rock -I ,there is plenty of things to experience and do on Castle Hill for a day and I haven't visited it.

The Great Market is worth a visit (although it has lost some of the unique character lent by the past presence of pig heads, etc). Your can combine a visit with a walk down from Vorosmarty ter on the two pedestrian sections of Vaci utca it will be across the busy street. Or you can ride the 47 or 49 tram that leaves adjacent to Deak ter and circles down to the stop at the Great Market - just before the the tram crosses the Szabadsag bridge into Buda. You could easily combine this with a visit to the Citadella (and adjacent prominent Freedom Monument at the top of Gellert Hill. If you take the tram across the bridge, get off at the stop just past the front of the Hotel Gellert and walk back in that direction to go up the path that goes to the top. A round trip walk up (and descent down to the north past the St. Gellert statue adjacent to the Erzsebet hid (bridge) will take two hours or more (depending on how long you linger and the number of photos you feel compelled to take. Alternatively, to avoid most of the vigorous ascent to the top you can take the tram a couple of further stops to Moricz Zigmond korter. When you alight from the tram bear right onto Villanyi ut and you will see the 61 tram terminus in the middle of that street as you walk past it to the bus stop for the 27 bus (it is marked on a pole) which you can take up most of the way to the Citadella before you have to walk the rest of the way on the right up the street. Were I visiting for the first time to Budapest, I would certainly spend time doing this, Castle Hill, (and going up Andrassy ut using the M1 - including taking in the stamp museum, the Opera House, the Terror Museum (worth a couple of hours alone), maybe the Fine Arts Museum, Hosok tere, the Vajdahunyad Castle and City Park, and perhaps the Szechenyi baths instead of going to the caves.

As for the shoes on the Danube, that display is on the wall of the embankment of the Danube, south of Parliament. If you take the #2 tram it stops just before the current construction on the south side of the Parliament area. If you take the M2 to Kossuth ter the construction also interferes with pedestrian access to the shoes. You will have to approach the display from the south, maybe from the Chain Bridge (Szechenyi lanchid) area and go up along side the Danube.

Level Contributor
542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

I really don't want to go caving, but my son will turn 16 on Thursday and this is for him. If you have another suggestion as far as what may be fun for a 16 year old, please let me know

4. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 13:05
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,379 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

My (Hungarian) wife thinks the hospital in the rock is awful, a watste of time. Others may have a different opinion....

An afternoon (or morning) is fine for a visit to the baths.

Shoes on the danube is something you can do while on a stroll in the evening. I also recommend a stroll up in the Var (castle district) at dusk, especially on the side away from the river.

The Terror Museum needs at least 90 minute-2 hours. Make sure to get an audio guide. No photography allowed (unless thay have changed the rules).

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

Hello Door60,

you can enjoy a Segway tour, or a live Room escape game as a special treat with a 16 year old in Budapest (the room escape is not frightening, it is absolutely fun! just a logic game, in real life.)

Contact the caving tour guys before you go on a caving tour to find out what they suggest and for whom (take comfy, flat shoes if you go). e.g. http://birthday.caving.hu/

Great Market:

Monday 06.00 - 17.00, Tuesday - Friday 06.00 - 18.00, Sat 06.00 - 15.00

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

door 60

the great market is somehwere that is ok for some women but most men I know (english) are not overfussed about markets, there are some nice bits there

your 16 year old would almost certainly love TRAP

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274887-…

highly recommend it

the shoes while a poignant memorial would not warrant more than 20 minutes and although it is on the river it is hard to get to safely

we had to cross 2 roads of busy traffic to get there,others may have easier routes

the house of terror my mother in law,wife and daughter found fascinating, I wasnt there that trip but they thought it was very dark but good

the baths really are a must, you could do 4 hours one morning here

hope this helps

Tony

philipin
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

DCEsq: wow! I sure would love to travel with you! :-)

Thanks for the info. I'm going in October & thought I would just take metro everywhere to make it easier. But I guess it would be nice to see scenery than the underground!

Level Contributor
542 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

So, just to let you all know, I went caving for my son' s birthday. It was really hard, and if I knew then what I know now -- I would definaely NOT do it. We slithered and crawled and climbed through the caves of Budapest. I was Ok in the beginning, but by the second hour, the holes got smaller, the caves became more slippery, and I just got weaker. Most of my fellow cavers were way under 30. I was defiantly the old girl on the trip. The guide had to help me through some tougher areas. Afterwards, we treated ourselves to a great dinner at the New York Cafe, and today we went to the spa. I can barely move!

10. Re: In Budapest now anh have another question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:17