We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

Hi everyone

I am going to be traveling to Budapest for three days, but I wanted to ask you something, which I hope I am given proper advise.

Can you guys point me to some breathtaking places outside of Budapest that's really worth visiting? And if yes, can you guys advise on transportation...

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

We traveled by train to Eger to the Valley of the Beautiful Women to sample wine at the many cavs there, and to Szentendre by boat. We enjoyed both but if you are in Budapest for only three days, I wouldn't suggest going out of the city since three days there isn't enough.

But there is more information here ---> tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274887-s407/Budapest…

Pjk

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

Hi movieprince,

Give us an idea of "breathtaking" for you. Off the top, I cannot think of any sights around the area as breathtaking - or that i would classify as such. Now, in Budapest I consider the nighttime skyline as breathtaking (you'll see what I mean when you arrive).

And with only 3 days, Budapest has way too much to offer to seek regional alternatives.

Best,

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,845 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

The view from Harmashatarhegy at dusk is pretty wonderful - in most places in Buda you can look out across Pest to the East, but up there (hegy means hill) you can look to the West as well. There is a restaurant just below the summit, which I think is still open. Take the path to the right of the restaurant entrance to get to the summit.

Catch a tram to Kolosy Ter (square) and then the 65 bus up the hill. The bus terminates at the Fenyogyongye restaurant, you can then walk up the hill to Harmashatarhegy - takes about an hour. Or get a cab from the centre of town. Make sure you argree a price before you go - someone like city taxi are pretty reliable.

4. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 20:35
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

I agree, that is a beautiful place as well.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

I gotta say that standing in the middle of the town square in Eger and looking up to the castle is a pretty awesome view - especially at sunset when the colours intensify. It takes approximately 2 hours by train or bus and is well worth it.

The view from Esztergom cathedral over the town and Danube was rather impressive too, as was the view from the kis-Danube (little Danube canal) up to the cathedral. It takes about 90 minutes by train to Esztergom and the views through the Pilis Hills along the way make this slow train trip worth it.

Finally, the views from the top of Visegrad castle over the Danube and surrounding green hills are rather awesome too.

I totally agree with Jeremy about the skyline view of Budapest. The view at dusk from the Pest-side promenade up to the castle as the lights come on is probably the best in Europe. Equally, being at the castle at sunset overlooking Pest is special too.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,845 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

The view downriver from the middle of Margit Hid (Margaret Bridge) at dusk is worth a stop, if you are travelling that way.

8. Re: Budapest - trips and locations outside of Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:17