We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

Hey all!

Have been in Budapest for two days now and have two more to go before heading to Vienna by train.

Budapest is pretty in places, but for the most part my husband and I are not in love with it. We've seen some of the major attractions (Synagogue, a bath, Basilica still left) and feel a bit indifferent towards the city. I know people like different things, but I was expecting to enjoy it more since friends, colleagues etc. loved it. Maybe it's the time of year? Maybe it's just not for us - you may not love everywhere you go. Maybe it will grow on us over the next few days?! I am enjoying our hotel (The Gerloczy) and strolling around is nice. But the city as a whole isn't blowing me away. That's fine too, it's my experience and I'm still going to explore and seek out things I may or may not enjoy. I'm ok with not loving it yet, but am surprised I don't. Hope that makes sense!

Just my thoughts as I sit in the hotel drinking some local sparkling wine (which I happen to like)!

Cheers :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,783 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

Have you walked across the chain bridge then up to the Castle District and the Fisherman's Bastion, especially for the views? Have you visited the Great Market or taken the tram over to Margeret Island to see what's there? Have you not enjoyed some traditional music or dancing? Have you not been impressed with Hungarian wine? If not, try to stop at DiVino just off the plaza in front of the cathedral for a glass of wine ---> http://divinoborbar.hu/

Pjk

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

We've done some of the major sites so far but still have yet to take a Danube cruise and have not seen a traditional dance. It's pretty and all, but I guess I'm not in love with it. That's fine, everyone has their own experience and perception about a place. I didn't love Bangkok and I know people that think I'm nuts!

I am definitely keeping an open mind and will continue to explore. I don't plan on sitting in my hotel because I haven't loved it so far. Thanks for the suggestions!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

Maybe you should try getting out of your hotel and go someplace where people are singing and dancing and having a good time. Try the Karpatia for a beautiful setting, authentic food and a raucous Gypsy (Rom) band.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

We felt that way about Barcelona the first time we went. We keep saying. " It's not Paris.". But a few days after going home we started talking about what we did like and tried it again ( and loved it)

So joillette, what are a couple of your favorite cities?

I am just curious as we are going to Budapest for the first time and I am a little reluctant. I don't know why. I am always afraid I'll be let down when i go someplace new But then every place can't be your favorite place!

Edited: 28 October 2013, 22:22
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

No need for that comment, I have been out of my hotel for two days! Appreciate your suggestion though, will look in to it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

Hi SouthernGal54 --- wow, my favourite cities? I'd have to say Istanbul, Hanoi, Sydney and probably London. I just loved the vibe and was completely enthralled from the beginning. As I said, I hope it will grow on me. I was just giving my impressions so far. We still have more to see and the suggestions of seeing a traditional dance sounds interesting.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

our posts crossed and hadn't seen anything but that you were sitting in your hotel. Sorry for the bad timing.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

You might enjoy the Hungarian folk dance troupe. It's a great show.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,783 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

There are the nicest people at the hotel. You might want to chat with Csaba or Bela, the sommalier, or Regina about your feelings and see if they can help or suggest something.

Pjk

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm not that impressed by Budapest - am I missing something?

Visit Budapest again 4 or 5 years later. Maybe you will be impressed.