We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

Hi there,

I'm going to Budapest in January time and have never been before. I've heard it's quite reasonable financially but wasn't sure how much to take? I'm planning on doing the touristy things and only have a bed at a hotel, no breakfast or half board. Any tips would be great as how much to take, what to do there, where to eat etc would be great!

Culinary Hungary Home Cooking Class and Market Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours
Cold War Private Tours Budapest
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Guidehungary - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Guide Hongrie
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

£50 a day would see you right for 3 meals and some touristy stuff

£80-100 if you want to splurge

what sort of things do you like eating and doing when on holiday?

cheers tony

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

Hello Charlotte26_13

This is a tough question since it will really be answered by your personal travel style and wants.

With that being said I find a good base parameter to be between 75-100 euro per day per person and you will more than likely never even spend half of that and still eat and drink quite well.

Perhaps take a look at this link it may help you out with your planning and give you a rough idea …cnn.com/…

Of course like I said earlier it really depends on where you choose to eat and what you tastes are in wine and shopping.

Best

SEBESZ

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

If your accommodation is already dealt with, then the' touristy' things plus meals can be quite reasonable. Get a suitable travel card for the time you are there - it will give you all the public transport you need. Look at the options on transport to and from the airport, and decide what you want there. The big unknowns are what you consider as OK for meals, and how much you plan on spending on shopping. How many days are you spending in Budapest?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

Here's another handy little comparison guide that will work with any two cities.

www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

Here's an example of what it will give you.http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Hungary&city1=London&city2=Budapest

Edited: 01 November 2013, 16:32
Mentioned in this post
Hungary
Hungary
Europe
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

A cleaner link.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Hungary&city1=London&city2=Budapest

6. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 17:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,672 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

Actually, don't take cash to exchange. Take your debit card and get cash from an ATM as and when you need it. The exchange rates at banks and bureaux de change are usually extortionate.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

I agree with the airport bureau de exchange Lynn, but the ones in the city are the best rate by far

on my recent trip the rates went like this

best to worst

1 northline cash bureau de exchange

2 atm uk debit card

3 visa card

luton airport there was a 100fts spread,in budapest the spread was 10 fts between buy/sell

cheers tony

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

Thank you all for your responses, sorry for my delay - my email didn't notify me!

I suppose somewhere reasonable for breakfast and lunch but something more substantial for dinner, although I've heard that you can pick up a tasty lunch for quite cheap so I suppose mainly dinner. I'm also not sure how much the tourist attractions are? I haven't been to Budapest before so I apologise for my ignorance!

I thought £75 - £100 a day should be enough, what's the alcohol prices like out there? Not that I'm an avid drinker but sometimes a glass of wine is warming and given how I'm travelling in January I think I may need my beer jacket!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
445 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Budapest - how much money to take?

Luton... maybe I misunderstood some things in your post but these are my observations based on what I think you said:

- Assuming you are saying that Northline in Budapest had a 10FT spread, that equates to 4.5% (I'm using USD for comparison, currently at 1 = 222 FT). If you assume that the mid-point between that 10FT spread is the actual current rate, they are making 2.25% per transaction (assuming no fees of course). Contrast that to ATM withdraws, which happen at the actual rate and even with the 1% fee that many banks charge for foreign transactions, you are still more than 1% better off with ATM method, so that should really be #1 on any list (assuming your bank will only charge 1% of course).

- You say that there was a 100FT difference in Luton? Well, if so, that's gotta be one of the biggest rip-offs ever lol! That means they are probably getting about 23% profit on every transaction, which even in the rip-off world of fx exchange rackets is quite the heist ;)