We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Vienna

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Vienna

Hello all,

My family of 7 is planning a day trip to Vienna from Budapest on Dec 30. Would it be better/easier to take the train or a private transfer? My understanding is that a private transfer would be faster and cheaper for the 7 of us. If a private transfer is the better method, will it be safe during this time or will icy roads be an issue? I am not familiar at all with the roads from Budapest to Vienna. Any other suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Anthony

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,548 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Vienna

The train costs €25 return for adults, €12,50 for 6-14 year-olds and free for under 6 year-olds. Tickets are unlimited in number per train at this price, book on-line from Hungarian Railways europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

It may be worth your while to get a €34 ticket/€16.90 for 6-14 year-olds as this includes unlimited public transport for the day - it depends on how many trams/U-Bahns you will be using, but if there are 7 of you then it will be one less thing off your mind.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Vienna

Hello Anthony S

Exactly what GCEK said ^^ LOL but also take into consideration if you do plan such a trip try to get the earliest outbound train available and the latest inbound you can.

It is almost a full 3 hours ride each way so at least this way you will allow yourself the most time you can to try and soak in Vienna ... which to be honest is not going to be much.

If you could arrange an overnight I think it would be a better option but better to go than not.

Enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Vienna

Hi Anthony,

I can be in city center Vienna (District 1) in about 2:45 from my home in the heart of the city on the Buda side. A train is about 3 hours to the train station, and then a 15ish minute tram to city center. The road is 95% interstate with the exception being as you exit/enter Budapest and Vienna. The interstate is safe and my guess would be it will be quiet on the 30th. But with that said, I'd still recommend the train. Why pay a substantial premium for an extra 1.5 hours?

And Vienna will be fairly solemn on Monday 30 December. Although some will work, most will be off and some restaurants will be closed. In addition, if you are a museum person - check their specific schedules, as some are likely closed. And the wonderful Christmas market will have been closed since the 24th....

Vienna is a very nice town, with excellent architecture and sights.....

Jeremy

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Vienna

Hi Jeremy Thanks, for the info.

I am doing the same trip but by car. on the 12-Dec.

Just to be sure about what you said.

Driving all the way from Budapest to Vienna by car will take about 2:45? and is't hard to find a parking in the central of Vienna?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Vienna

Hi Nizar,

Yes, driving will take circa 2:45. Now I'm the type of driver that stays close to the speed limit and doesn't make stops. You can purchase both the Hungarian and Vienna driving permits in Budapest (Mol, OMV gas stations) so you don't have to stop once in Austria.

Parking in city center this time of year can be tricky because all the visitors for the wonderful Chriistmas market and all around wonderfully decorated city center. So yes , street parking is available but you may have to search for a while. And note, many streets are one way, so it can get a bit difficult if you need to turn around.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

6. Re: Day trip to Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17