We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest or Salzburg?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
9 posts
Save Topic
Budapest or Salzburg?

Hello. I'm planning to visit Europe next month, including cities such as Vienna, Prague and Berlin, and I wanted to add another city-- Budapest or Salzburg. Which one would you recommend me? Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest or Salzburg?

Hello microwin

Both are really great cities in their own rights offering very different feels, sounds and sights.

Perhaps you could tell us what interests you and what you would like out of your holiday time (architecture, food. outdoor scenery, museums etc. etc.)

Also it is somewhat important ... How much time will you have for your trip??? With the above cities already listed you will need at least 8 days IMHO not counting travel time.

Best

SEBESZ

Buenos Aires...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest or Salzburg?

Hello SEBESZ. Thanks for your reply.

I have 8 days for Vienna, Prague and... Salzburg or Budapest. I'm interested in getting to know a quaint place, charming, with nice architecture, great food and a beautiful landscape...

Edited: 14 January 2014, 03:17
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest or Salzburg?

Hello microwin

Well being that you posted here in the Budapest forum you pretty much have an idea which way this discussion is going to go for you here.

If it were me I would do 2 days Prague 3 days Vienna and 3 days in Budapest. Using either bus or train to travel between Prague and Vienna and train between Vienna and Budapest.

I am sure you will get different input on the Salzburg forum but here is my reasoning why.

For quaint and some wonderful landscapes I would probably give the edge to Salzburg, but with that being said I think 3 days is a long time for Salzburg without breaking it up with side trips out of town i.e. (Munich, Hallstatt, Berchtesgaden etc. etc.).

For architecture, great gastronomy and charming sights and people I would tend to feel that Budapest far and away edges out Salzburg on those. Three days will just give you enough time to really get a good taste and take in most of Budapest major sites and have you planning your return trip so you can take in all that you may have missed or wanted to do.

Just my 2 cents worth

Best

SEBESZ

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest or Salzburg?

Hello microwin,

As I live in Budapest and am in Salzburg fairly regularly I know the two places well. Sticking to your descriptors - I'll share my thoughts:

1. quaint place - Budapest is a capital city of around 2M people. Far from quaint in terms of size and people BUT there are wonderful neighborhoods and areas that are very quaint that you will feel calm and almost a sense of quiet. Salzburg - absolutely quaint due to it's picturesque setting, small population, quaint old town.

2. charming - Budapest and Salzburg are both charming in their own ways. Budapest in a sense that culture can be thick here, and even though is a relatively large town the setting, the architecture, the quiet side streets, the hills, etc, make it charming. Same with Salzburg. No clear favorite here.

3. with nice architecture - I give Budapest the nod here - by a wide margin. With the parlament, basilica, bastion, castle district, bridges, opera, bath houses, etc. Budapest has wonderful living architecture. Some remains scarred from past decades while others have been refreshed. Salzburg has a nice sky line in terms of a wonderful castle, a bevy of churches and a nice old town built into the side of a cliff running along the river. But Budapest has more to offer and a prettier sky line along the riverfront.

4. great food - again Budapest by a wide margin. Budapest is very cosmopolitan and has a wide range of kitchens offering everything from Mexican, Italian, Indian, Japanese, Russian, to traditional Hungarian. And in every price bracket from very affordable to quite expensive. Salzburg is more limited in my opinion, with most places serving traditional local offerings - that while good, do not offer the wide range that the Budapest kitchens do.

4. and a beautiful landscape - The hills of Budapest on the Buda side of the river are very nice and offer a compelling piece of scenery. However, Salzburg doesn't have hills - it has mountains - the Alps - which are spectacular in every regard.

I enjoy Salzburg for a quiet get-away weekend to have some nice walks, enjoy some nice beer and visit the local towns in the heart of the Alps. Budapest is a wonderful place that offers lots across the spectrum and is becoming a more well known gem of a tourist locale (as well as a place to live).

I don't think you'll be disappointed by either, but know Budapest has more to offer in some regards in terms of searching through the city.

Best wishes and enjoy your travels.

Jeremy

5. Re: Budapest or Salzburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18