We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

I am having a tough time navigating the MAV website trying to find prices for trains from the main Budapest station to Pecs on September 11th and hoping one of you can help me. I do know that we could not book any tickets until 90 days out but I am just trying to find out how often trains go from Budapest to Pecs AND what the costs might be. Ideally we would like to take the quickest train, 07:45 train leaving from Budapest arriving in Pecs at 10:41, but the fare in English pounds was 5,475 which is equivalent to USD 9,051.82!! Hardly possible of course - or should it be English pounds 5.475 which is only USD9? That conversely seems way too low!

Another question - which is the "main" station in Budapest? On the website, I see trains going from the Budapest South and East stations - which one is considered to be the central station?

Plus, when I translate the MAV page to English, the info about the 07:55 to 10:41 Budapest to Pecs train suddenly says Budapest to BOURNEMOUTH, a seaside town in England, and not Pecs. I am totally confused!

I am certainly open to taking a bus form Budapest to Pecs - is there anything like the Student Agency Bus going from Budapest to Pecs that you know of?

Annie B.

With sincere thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

I'm not sure what website you're using.

Here's what I just found MAV website. (Google 'Elvira Hungary' and you'll quickly get to it.) On Sept. 11:

7:45 Budapest Keleti Arr. Pecs 10:41.1st cl. 5475 ft 2nd. cl.4485 ft. Seat reservations required, but that will be included in the ticket price.

In continental Europe, the ',' is often a decimal point. A useful conversion at this time is about 200 ft/$, so 2nd class would be in the vicinity of $25. I doubt that there are any reduced fares by buying in advance., but I could be wrong on that.

Keleti is the Eastern station, but don't worry about that - everyone calls it Keleti.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

Hello Annie B

The 7:45 train leaves from Keleti and the 5475 (24.50 USD) you are seeing is HUF Hungarian Forint you can also book a second class ticket for 4485 HUF which is just as good since there really is no difference in comfort level between first and second on that route

As to the Bournemouth issue I am not sure why I just went went to the site and do not see that. Are you using Google translate?

Best

SEBESZ

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

Actually, there is quite a difference in comfort on that route on the IC trains. In 2nd, it's 'airplane seating' with one's knees literally against the seat in front of you. In 1st it's 2 by 1 across, often with a table between, and definitely not 'knees-up.'

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

Actually that could be true comfort levels are really quite different for each person.

Some find it very uncomfortable to have to walk up a flight a stairs with luggage while others find it not to be an issue at all.

So if you want to save some money 2nd class is fine but it really depends on your own personal travel style and it is after all your choice

Best

SEBESZ

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

My personal experience is that I have never been on a 2nd class IC coach that did not have tables in it. Perhaps the Budapest-Pecs line has a new type of coach that none of the other lines in Hungary have?Maybe GCEK could provide us with some of his excellent pictures of coach interiors to clarify this?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

I doubt very much whether any site will give you the information in GB pounds!

But I know what your problem is, you are using the google auto-translate facility, which will 'translate' all the placenames for you - for some reason it 'translates' Budapest as Bournemouth, and HUF (Hungarian forint) as GBP (GB pounds).

The price is therefore 4425 Hungarian forint for 2nd class

You should click on the English option at the top of the page and this problem will not occur. There is no point buying the ticket to Pécs in advance as it will cost the same on the day.

For a user-friendly overview of times, see www.idos.cz (English bottom right)

This train is typical of those used on this route www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php… (click on the camera icon for interior views) you will see that 1st and 2nd are very similar, but it isn't much extra to pay.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

As always, GCEK, thanks for your expert advice and graphics. It sure looks like they still have the tables and the spacious seats in 2nd class that I am used to.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

Well, I've been in both, and there is a definite difference in comfort. The older coaches were fine, but the newer ones can be painful.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

@GCEK

Thanks for clearing that up very similar and really no difference between 1st and 2nd. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words or one opinion.. I might agree with ugyved2 on this one funny how someone could say they road in both and yet never notice the tables and car composition that are again as you say "very similar"

After all one need only look or actually ride the train and yes I see what you mean this is the pictures of the actual train the IC 802 Zengő www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

Thanks again GCEK for the clarification

SEBESZ

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Budapest to Pecs via train or bus?

Profuse thanks to each of you as I was in a real quagmire early this morning trying to figure this all out.

Oddone123: Loved the currency lesson! I knew something was really "off" but didn't know what I was doing "wrong" to get to the correct currency AND place names, i.e. NOT Bournemouth! I can't believe how very reasonable it is to get from Budapest to Pecs even on 1st class.

SEBESZ and ugyved2: I was indeed using Google translate on the MAV website and that's why I kept getting quotes in GBP, a term I had never heard of before by the way even though my mother was English, plus the reference to Bournemouth too. Thanks for your input on 1st vs 2nd class trains.

GCEK: Glad you could see too how I was getting the GBP/Bournemouth info! I see now the English option. I really appreciate too your link to the graphics so I/we could see the interior of the compartments.

I feel like a heel right about now because after further checking out the atlas we just bought, it does make far more sense to go from Vienna to Sopron and then on to Pecs, then up to Budapest, onto Brasov and then backtrack to Budapest as oddone123 so wisely said earlier. Guess I was too tired this morning and didn't look again at the atlas to know my geography of Austria and Hungary better before posting my question.

With sincere thanks and mea culpa to each of you,

Annie B.