We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

Hello,

I am planning to travel from Budapest to Zakopane via Poprad in June 2014 with my family and teenage kids. So far what I have found is:

06:30am - 09:58 Budapest - Kosice, EC 532 Rakoczi

10:07am - 11:22 Kosice - Poprad, R 606 Liptov

And then 11:50am bus from Poprad to Zakopane.

I was preferring this route over overnight train from Budapest to Krakow and then bus to Zakopane to see the Tatras Mountains.

Please could someone who has traveled this route tell me how reliable are the train times and whether the 9 min layover in Kosice is sufficient for the transfer. I have no idea how big the Kosice train station is or how far is the Poprad train station from bus station to make the transfers.

Thanks for any help!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

9 minutes should be fine - it isn't a huge station and the trains are usually synchronised such that you have time to catch the train that you need.

The buses go from almost outside the railway station in Poprad - turn right as you exit the station and it is a few yards away. Ask at the station - write 'Autobusová stanica?' and somebody will point you in the right direction. It looks as though it goes from stop no. 4

There are other buses at 16:50 and 18:50 so all is not lost. However you won't see much of the mountains that way, but it is a bit of a lottery whether you will see them anyway as the clouds can completely obscure them at any time of year, even at the height of summer. It can change from day to day.

NB the buses at 11:50 and 16:50 run from 30.04.2014 to 05.05.2014 and from 15.06.2014 to 15.10.2014

The 18:50 bus runs from 15.06.2014 to 15.10.2014

If you are travelling before 15.6 then your only bet is to get the overnight train to Krakow (from €49 each in a 3-berth sleeper, or €39 each in a 4-berth couchette - ideal for a family) and bus to Zakopane

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

I don't know about Kosice, but I have been to Poprad and in 28 minutes you can see everything worth seeing in Poprad while waiting for the bus; twice; and likely without leaving the corner … it is perhaps the single most depressing city I have ever set foot in

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

Poprad is certainly a bit of a one horse town, but Košice has a lot going for it, last year it was European capital of culture.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

Agree about Poprad and Kosice. We got the train from Trencin to (supposedly) Poprad, but it looked so Godawful on the approach by train that we didn't get off!!! We continued on to Kosice, which is very nice.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

The best thing about Poprad is that it is the starting point for the little train up to the villages that are strung along the foothills of the mountains - Smokovec, Tatranská Lomnica, Štrbské pleso, etc. It also has a good ice hockey team and an aquapark (they had to build that so that people would actually go there!)

A few years ago it used to be possible to fly direct from England so of course the stag party companies heard about it. it is possibly the worst possible place for such an event. We stay there sometimes in a friend's flat, and you could occasionally hear a couple of gangs of English guys forlornly trying their best to enjoy themselves - even a single raised voice echoes around the town. They soon stopped going, and the flights stopped.

NY
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

Thanks for all your responses! Great information. Yes we will be doing this journey around June 10th. So, I was a bit disheartened to hear that the Bus from Poprad -> Zakopane doesn't run during that time. However, just now I found another schedule on-line that says the dates the bus runs is 30/4/2014 - 15/10/2014. I do not know how correct this website is. If you have any current/accurate information on when the bus will start running for the summer that will be extremely helpful to us. Here is the website:

http://www.strama.eu/rozkady-jazdy.html

LINE BUS TIMETABLE POPRAD SK - KRAKOW PL

LINE POPRAD - KRAKOW

SUSPENDED UNTIL 04/29/2014! ! !

TIMETABLE POPRAD SK - KRAKOW PL

VALID FROM DN. 30.04.2014 TO DN. 15/10/2014

Location - name of the stop Departure Times

Poprad, DA Position No. 4 8:50 11:50 16:50 18:50

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,345 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

If you look at the bottom of the timetable it says 'legenda, kurzuje od .... do.... '

Which means ' runs from.... to... '

I've no idea why that one month period seems to be missing.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

Nothing is actually missing. Buses marked in the timetable as 'S' run from 30.04.2014 to 05.05.2014 (it's a long weekend in Poland, two public holidays, lots of people travelling for a break in the mountains, so that's probably why they've decided to run in this particular period) and 15.06.2014 to 15.10.2014. Buses marked as 'L' run from 15.06.2014 to 15.10.2014

NY
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

Thanks a lot for the clarification. This information certainly helped with our planning. We will have to take the train to Krakow and then bus to Zakopane (saves us some time)!..

10. Re: Budapest to Zakopane through Poprad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 15:05