We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Budapest in December?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
5 days in Budapest in December?

I posted the following in other forums here on TA but am hoping that the "experts" on the Hungary forum can specifically address my question with regards to Budapest:

"My husband (51yo, born/raised in Switzerland - has traveled extensively) and I (44yo born/raised California, have traveled a lot, have been to Europe 15ish times) are going to Europe in December (again...) to visit family in Switzerland for Xmas and family/friends in Hamburg for NYE. The really fun part is the 5-days/6-nights in between where we get to travel somewhere new and exciting, just the 2 of us. I have narrowed down my list to the following and would love some input/suggestions/advice or other ideas:

Prague, Czech Republic

Budapest, Hungary

Southern Spain - Seville, Cordoba, Granada

Italy - Venice/Florence

Portugal - Lisbon/Port

Northern Scandinavia (aurora borealis)

My list is based on: where I have not already been (Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Vienna, and pretty much everywhere in Switzerland and Germany). I'm not interested in the Christmas Markets (seen 'em), skiing ("retired"), or warmth (as if there is any in December in Europe, i.e. don't want to go to the islands). What is important: not spending too much time getting from one place to another, history/culture, making the most of 5 full days without exhausting ourselves (we go back often enough to not have that "5 countries in 5 days" attitude - every place I listed above that I've been to I spent a full week in each).

What say ye, oh great trip advisors?! :-) Thanks!!!"

Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Budapest in December?

Budapest sounds like a good candidate - there's plenty to see, and many great restaurants, all within the Inner City (basically Districts 5, 6 and parts of 7 & 8)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Budapest in December?

Thanks for the feedback!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Budapest in December?

Hi Sheri S,

I have been to each of your target areas.....and my list in preferred order would be:

1. Southern Spain

2. Northern Scandinavia

3. Budapest

We love the southern region of Spain and find Seville a wonderful city with much history, culture, eats, tradition, etc. We stay at the Alfonso XIII which is a great base camp for exploration. We typically will also visit surrounding towns (E.g., Granada) but sometimes even go to the coast - maybe a stop in Gibraltar. December will be cool no doubt, but again the area has tons to offer.

I'd select Northern Scandinavia only because of the uniqueness. I'm thinking an Ice Hotel stop, Northern Lights, Romantic time, etc. The one caution I would say here is that it's cold (obviously) so you need to ensure you schedule activities - because it's not as if you can just wander out and find things.

And then Budapest. Home. It's a wonderful city all around. Filled with history both obvious and down back streets and courtyards. Being over 1000 years old - the city has seen a lot - and scars remain that makes exploration interesting and fun. I like December if the rain hold off. It's cool (think 40F for highs), but you'll experience zero crowds for the most part - opera season is in full swing (a must evening), and the kitchens are from traditional to cosmopolitan and has a bit for everyone. Walking the city along the riverfront in the evening will be a treat. A cool evening with the historical architecture illuminated making for a great backdrop as you drop into some wine bars or coffee shops to enjoy a drink.

You have a wonderful "problem"......and I think every decision will be "correct"......

All the best in your planning,

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Budapest, Hungary
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Budapest in December?

Budapest is good choice:)))

5. Re: 5 days in Budapest in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:15