We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying with debit (ATM) card

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Paying with debit (ATM) card

I already know that my Discover credit card isn't accepted in Hungary so that is not an option.

My question is: Will I be able to make purchases at places such as restaurants, groceries, shops, etc. with my Mastercard debit/atm card? Can I swipe the card at the point of purchase to pay for my items just like in the states?

I know that there will be some kind of conversion fee, but I just want to make sure that most places in Budapest will accept this as a for of payment.

Thanks!

Köszönöm!

1. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 17:06
Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

Thanks! I have read a large number of other posts on this topic and don't mean to clog the threads. I am not concerned with paying fees, I know that is a given, I just want to be sure that I can use the debit card like I do now in the states when at a store or restaurant. I will definitely heed your advice on keeping some spending cash on hand as well.

How can I delete a thread that is a repeat question once I've gotten an answer?

Thanks again.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

Don't worry about it. just bear in mind that it is generally better to use the debit rather than the credit card. You will find them welcome in just about any place you are likely to visit. If you want to learn more than is necessary or that you are likely to attempt, you can look back a few pages and you will see the same long, complicated comments on nearly every page. Bottom line is that if you use the debit card you will do well and not waste precious time shopping around to save a penny on an exchange.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

Some rather popular restaurants (like the Café Kor) accept cash only. Check before you go.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

I use my debit card at ATM's in Budapest to have some cash on hand. However, for purchases in shops or restaurants or even to buy a transit pass at the train station I use my credit card. Capital One and now I understand Citi card does not charge additional fees for using their cards in other countries. Also be sure to notify your debit card bank and your credit card company that you are traveling so you do not get any declines.

Toronto
Level Contributor
498 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

What denominations of bills do ATM's give out? I plan on taking out my daily limit which is roughly 60,000F but the last thing I want is 6 X 10,000 bills

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

ask for 59,000HuF.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

Unlike ATM in the US, which give all 20 dollar bills in Budapest if you do what Ugved suggests you will get a variety of denominations.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

If you ask for 60000, you will get 3x20000. Maybe if you withdraw from a bank, you can ask the cashier to give smaller denominations.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying with debit (ATM) card

you can "ask" the ATM for smaller bills by asking for 59,000. most people understand this.