We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

It seems a bit strange that the top 4 thing to do are all commercial enterprises. Incidentally none of them would interest me in any way!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

Then skip down to 6,7,8 and 9. Better still don't visit Budapest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

It's ok - I'm going tomorrow and know what I want to see - just confused that what most would consider the main Budapest sights appear below them!

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

its the way tripadvisor's algorithm works

as said you are not forced to do any of them but the shooting is a lot of fun for british men

cheers tony

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

These top things lists on TA are usually best ignored. Have you looked at the London list lately? The top attraction in London is apparently a commercial enterprise called ClueQuest. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Londoners hadn't even heard of it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

As a local example: nobody had even heard of the local gun range until it became constantly promoted by a frequent poster here. Combine that drum beat with the owner "urging" all the visitors to fill out a favorable review. Et voila!!! The gun range reaches to top of the list. I assume that is what Tony means by the "TA algorithm".

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

Ugyved for British men and women(a country where only the police and army have access to firearms) shooting a gun is a very unusual thing

I know back in AZ you can open carry etc etc

but for us its a bit different, so a shooting club is fun

and I would hazard a guess more fun for British tourist than US ones

the club in general gets favourable reviews because it does what it says on the tin

as for urging visitors for a favourable review ,that isnt right

because of its location most people (me included) found it on TA

of course its not every-bodies cup of tea, and thats how life works

cheers tony

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

I honestly have no idea why people visiting a beautiful city like Budapest would want to spend an afternoon at a shooting range. But I guess people are different and so is everyone`s idea of a fun packed holiday... Give me a cathedral or an ancient ruin and I am happy, guess others think of an AK-47 with the same sentiments.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

Tony, i was only trying to make sense of the "algorithm." It is well known that for a great deal of time there were certain restaurants that badgered people while they were eating to give rave reviews. Is that how it works?

As for that gun club, I have seen pictures of their weapons. And yes, as someone who grew up with guns, I can say I wouldn't fire one of the guns if my life depended on it...which it does.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 22:32
luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

an algorithm is just where computers are programmed to use a set of rules

there is no human input

so I rate the children's railway higher than celeritas as a *thing to do* but a computer doesnt see that

also zeller bistro is rated as no1 restaurant in budapest

its number 1 in that it has the most positive reviews but is it really the best restaurant in Budapest

or just an excellent bistro?

if human beings were involved in this process then people with more input would probably carry more weight

the whole system by its nature is partially flawed,but its a whole lot better than what came before

guide books out of date before they were even printed

cheers tony

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 4 "things to do" appear to e commercial enterprises?

Tony, you have provided an excellant explanation. I never considered algorithims when looking at rankings on Trip Advisor. I will have to put more credence into written reviews than how places are ranked in the future. Great explanation.