We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lead time to flight from Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lead time to flight from Budapest

I am looking at a 07:00 flight to Vienna, continuing on the Washington. Would likely have to check a bag. What time would I need to take a taxi from the center of Budapest to the airport in order to comfortably make an early flight? Thanks!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

Hello criostal,

The Budapest airport is quite small, making it very manageable from an ease-of- travel standpoint. I highly suggest that you check-in the day prior to your flight, this way you can bypass the line and just drop off your bag. Then through security and onto lounge/restaurant/shopping and gates. There will be no passport control, since you are flying within the Schengen zone. Dropping off your bag and going through security will take around 20ish minutes (or less on many days) if you know your way around the check-in process.

You will need about 30 minutes for your taxi ride from city center to the airport. You can call a taxi company the night prior and reserve one to pick you up at your designated time. It's not necessary, and if you do not plan on waiting 5-10 minutes for your taxi to arrive to your address. I use City Taxi on a weekly basis to/from the airport (+36.1.211.1111)

Enjoy,

Jeremy

California
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

Good info, thanks. What fare can one expect to pay from city center to the airport including tip? Since you make the trip so frequently, have you found the fare to be consistent? I have read that it is advisable to agree on a fare beforehand. Does one do this when calling the night before or just before entering the taxi?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

When we fly home to the states, we fly British Airways to Heathrow to start from Budapest. We always take the first flight out on BA which I think is about 8:30 a.m. The counter to drop off the baggage opens about 2 hours ahead so we arrive about 6 a.m and there is already a line to drop off baggage. Not a long line but a line none the less. Depending on where you are staying the hotel can often arrange transit for you to the airport. We arranged transit with the Palazzo Zichy when we left Budapest on our first trip. They also pre-arranged the fare, so there was no issue.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
77 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

How much was the fare?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

Hello Ststepa,

Yes - the fare is very consistent, actually always consistent. Note that I am loyal to City Taxi, because back in the 1990's they were by far the best service, and remain one of them today. When I'm leaving early in the morning for the airport, I will reserve a taxi the night before. That way I don't have to worry about ringing one at the last minute. Instead, I know a taxi is waiting outside my home at the designated time.

When I need a taxi during the day or when I'm not on a schedule, I'll ring City and they taxi arrives in 5-10 minutes depending. I'm not certain where you were advised to agree upon a fare ahead of time, but that sounds like poor advise to me - since that would mean you'd be getting into a non-metered taxi, which is a bad idea in any city.

Stick to City Taxi, 6x6, Fo Taxi or a number of other metered and licensed taxi companies and you will not have issues. Always call for a taxi, never flag one from the curb. And "never" means never. There's simply no need. A restaurant or hotel will call you the taxi of your choice - you must be specific about the name.

best and enjoy,

Jeremy

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

Is it only one of you? If so, you might look into the airport shuttle bus. It needs to be booked 24 hrs in advance, and may take a bit longer (although I find that in the early morning I'm usually the only passenger).

California
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

Thank you to the posters for all your help. We will check with our hotel and have them call for us.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

If you have checked luggage, it's best if you arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight. And as Jeremy said, it'll take about 30 mins from centre to arrive. However, since you're going before rush hour, it might take even less.

California
Level Contributor
174 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

Thanks, Jeremy. We'll ask the hotel to call City Taxi the night the night before.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lead time to flight from Budapest

Flying within Schengen is different from flying to Heathrow, which is not within Schengen; you may find, arriving 2 hours before the flight, that you may have to wait an hour for the line to open up or even be announced. Check with your airline how long before the flight they open; some are 1 hour, some 2. If it is just 1, there's little reason to plan to arrive more than an hour and 10 minutes before flight time.