We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Hi , I am going to visit Budapest next week and my question is :

fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill from where to start my tour , I like easiest rout (less climbing )?

what public transport should I use ?

My hotel is on pest side district 1.

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Hi Dima

Welcome to the forums!

There are many forums on the site, both destination and non-destination forums. If you click on the arrow beside More on the green bar you'll find a link to the main forum page.

This forum is for suggestions to improve the site itself. You'll need to ask your question on the Budapest Forum. To easily find the forum, type Budapest Forum in the search box upper right and it will take you here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g274887-i263-Budape…

Should you have questions about using the site or technical issues, please feel welcome to post those on the Support Forum though destination questions need to be posted on the relevant destination forum. For future reference, here's the Support Forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvis…

Enjoy your trip!

Regards,

L4

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Hi Dima,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the TripAdvisor Support Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Budapest Forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Your hotel cant be on the Pest side and in distric 1, as distric 1 is the castle at Buda.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Dima,

If you want to avoid the walk up to Castle hill, I would take the Funicular, it costs 1700 HUF for a return ticket, it is great fun. OR for the cheaper option, bus number 16 goes all the way to the Castle district - you can catch it from Deak Ferenc ter. I used both options before and also walked, it is not a very steep walk, unlike Gellert Hill, but the bus and the funicular save time and energy. OR you can combine these 2, get the 16 and get off by the bottom of the Castle hill and take the Funicular.

Gellert hill takes longer to walk up than Castle hill does and it is definitely steeper. There isn't a bus service that goes up all the way / at least there wasn't last year - locals do correct me if I`m wrong / . The only bus that will take you up there is the hop on/hop off Budapest bus. But another option is to take a taxi.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,976 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

When we go up to the Fisherman's Bastion, we always stop at the small cafe at the top. It's a nice break and there are great views down over the river. You can even sit outside of the cafe on the ledge.

Pjk

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

This is what you will get from castle hill at night.

gillesvidal.com/sziget2008/budapestchateau.h…

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Gellert Hill is not in the Castle District. It's about a mile or so S. (That's guessing, but shouldn't be too far off.) There will be some climbing to get to the Freedom statue, no matter how you do it. There are several ways to get fairly close to the statue using public transport using public transport (not the HOHO bus, which costs a lot more) from the Castle district.

Basically, you want to get from the Castle District to Moriccz Zsigmond Korter, and take the #27 bus from there to Busulo Juhasz. From there there is a well defined path through the trees up to the statue, or you can follow a road to the tour bus parking and then on up to the statue. The road is longer but less steep. Neither is anything like the climb up from the Danube. The HOHO bus does take you closer to the statue, but there is still about 100 meters to go on a gentle slope. (I suspect the taxis aren't allowed even as far as the HOHO bus, but I don't know.)

There are multiple ways to get from the Castle district to MZ Korter. All involve at least one transfer, and often two.

Where is your hotel? As Rawlee has pointed out District I is the Castle district, which is on the Buda side.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Nice video ugyved2!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Kosonom szepen Shreveport.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: budapest fisherman's bastion, buda castle and gellert hill

Amazing video indeed. It makes me want to get on a plane this very second.

I don`t have a good enough camera for something equally amazing, but these are my 3 favourite shots...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphot…

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-…

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-…

I am going back to BP in September and have a slightly better camera now so hopefully I will have some better shots :)