We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricity Converter

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
616 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Electricity Converter

Hello everyone,

I am currently in Budapest and purchased a plug adapter but they did not have a converter to switch from North American to European volts.

Anybody from here that can send me in the right direction? We are staying right beside the Great Market. My hair is desperate for the straightener.

Thanks

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricity Converter

Firstly, most hotel rooms are equipped with a dual voltage bathroom shaver socket labelled "shavers only". Respect this as even for a 60W straightener its very likely to burn out the step down transformer. Shavers are under 10W power, and as to 2000W hair driers you won't find an adaptor weighing much less than a car battery !

A converter / transformer with the necessary 100W rating is going to be heavier than a pair of straighteners and cost maybe 30+ euro (Budapest electrical shop prices - not Amazon or ebay). Would you want to carry the weight back to US ? Also I'm not sure of easy availability in Budapest.

Best bet is to go to Tesco and pick up a cheap compact pair of straighteners at 25 - 35 euro, with correct plug and ready to go, its what I did although being from UK there wasn't a voltage issue. I now use them as travel straighteners whenever travelling in Europe.

In Europe / UK most appliances these days are auto dual-voltage 110 / 230V 50-60Hz, maybe not the case in the US ?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricity Converter

I never carry hair driers, straighteners, tea kettles refrigerators, electric chairs or any other electric appliance, much less the heavy convertors with me. I buy the cheapest on site if my hotel doesn't have it and leave it behind for the house keeper. Much cheaper than paying for the excess baggage and chiropractor for my sore back.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricity Converter

The only "appliances"I carry are iPhone, Ipad, external speaker, Ipod, all of which require a battery to be charged. Fortunately all have universial plugs which can be used anywhere. Rather than carry a slew of plug converters I went on Amazon last year and bought a universal power strip. You can plug any type plug into it, and on the plug end it has a permanent European plug. Consequently, I can, (but do not) charge up to 6 things at one time. No converter or transformer required.

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
616 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricity Converter

Thanks for the replies. We are staying at an apartment, not a hotel.

Still have not checked my charger for my camera if it is ok. We are going to head to the Tesco at some point and just buy a cheap straightener. Seems to be my best option.

Have a great day, it is beautiful in Budapest this morning.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricity Converter

I also am at an apartment currently and as I described above is what I do with electronics.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricity Converter

Hi Darla41595,

You are doing the right thing by purchasing a new straightener with 220 power. We had friends visiting some years back and the women brought a hair curler with a convertor. To our dismay, something did not work correctly and our friends hair was essentially burnt off in one section. You can imagine how she felt and the damage it did to her trip. I have since heard from other friends about like experiences with hair devices (curlers, straighteners, dryers, etc.) Even with the proper convertor size, it seems like these have issues and obviously can cause pain and bad hair.

Buying a 220 device is the best decision.

Jeremy

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricity Converter

But first check the label on your straightener to see if it is dual voltage or not. If it is it WILL say something on it like "110-220 V" If that's the case it will work just fine with the adapter alone. If its not the case, its probably time to get a new one anyway that is dual voltage.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,462 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electricity Converter

Laura is spot on ... there are volts and there are Watts; things that heat up (and things that refrigerate) require lots of Watts, and converters that go from European voltage to US voltage only work for relatively low-Wattage electrical stuff.

Almost all electronics (the stuff like greyhound mentions) are very low Wattage, and either come with universal power supplies or work well with step down converters (which are essentially unavailable in Budapest or in the USA at shops on the street). As others note, these are heavy event when they are low-Watt and comparatively expensive. Best to buy a local appliance or a travel one with dual voltage (and then follow the directions carefully).

For things that just use plug adaptors, greyhound's advice is what we do as well for trips when we check our bags; or there are universal adapters for individual use that are light and small and easily pack in a briefcase (the ones from Wonpro are very heavy duty and excellent):

amazon.com/gp/…

amazon.com/gp/…

Edited: 04 June 2014, 06:50
Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
616 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electricity Converter

I did go to Tesco and purchase a straightener. Min was def not a dual one. I have seen some before that have a little thing to slide to switch it to a different voltage.

I had to return the 1st straightener I purchased but thankfully had iTranslate on my phone so I was able to say what I wanted and it translated it and wrote it out so she could understand what was wrong. I was able to get a different one and pay the difference.

Now to remember where I am putting it so I take it with me in October.

10. Re: Electricity Converter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:15