We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

Kentfield...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

We are traveling to Europe late Sept for a month. We want to spend about 2 weeks visiting Eastern Europe hitting the following cities Prague Budapest Vienna Krakow and Warsaw. Is this taking on too much. We will have about 2 weeks to travel elsewhere. We are flying from the US in and out of London. Suggestions welcome!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

Well for a start these places are in Central Europe, not Eastern. And yes, you are taking on too much. I am not a fan of Prague but I suspect most people will say to drop Warsaw. Vienna and Bpest both deserve 4 days each, which leaves 6 days for travel and 2 other cities.

Kentfield...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

Thanks. I meant to put in Krakow rather than Warsaw.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

I have been to four cities. I really enjoyed my time in Kracow, it was small but very interesting. Of course it all depends why you are choosing to go to Kracow. I have not been to Warsaw. If you are going to Kracow to see Auschwitz I and II then it is a must. If you are not planning on visiting the Camps then maybe skipping it is not a bad idea. I also suggest you look at a map as you migth be better starting with Warsaw and ending in Budapest or the opposite. I enjoyed Prague but I feel there is less time needed there than Buadapest and Vienna. I spent 4 days in Kracow, Prague was 4 days, Vienna was 5 and Budapest 3 days. Not including travel days. However the time in Vienna and the time in Budapest were not enough, so last wear I spend 12 days in Vienna and 4 weeks in Budapest. I am writing this from Budapest where I will be for 9 weeks. When I visited the cities we started in Karcow then flew to Prague via Munich (it was the fastest way to get there) from Prague we took the train to Vienna and then again the train to Budapest. How much time you spend in each city should really depend on what you plan to do.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

Hello Travelhelp94904

Budapest>Vienna>Prague>Krakow is a great route or reversing it.

Dont skip Krakow there is so much more to it than just a visit to Auschwitz. The great history, its castle and cathedrals. Its main square lined with some great places to sit and enjoy a beverage of your choosing and to just sit people watch and take it all in. The Great Market which can be touristy a bit but, if you know someone who likes to shop and likes amber you will find it there in every shape and form imaginable. One of my favorite smaller cities in Europe.

A good breakdown above by romanc perhaps 4 days in Budapest , 4 in Vienna, 2 in Prague and 3 in Krakow would be a good breakdown and use the other day as you travel time this way you get full days in each city. Just MHO

Also keep in mind as you research your trip Vienna is the only city that is going to stretch and hurt your wallet a bit, the other three cities are fairly inexpensive (compared to Vienna) and good value for your money.

Have a great trip

SEBESZ

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
185 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

I think it depends on how you will be traveling among the cities. We rented a car and went Budapest-Prague-Krakow and back to Budapest in 2 weeks so adding in Vienna would be doable. SEBESZ has a good breakdown of days. Krakow is a great city and worth the trip but if you do decide to go to Auschwitz plan on a half day to be there. The tours are now guided and worth the time.

6. Re: Krakow Budapest Prague and Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:17