We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, Spain
6 posts
Save Topic
Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

Hello everyone!

I will be travelling to Budapest this weekend and I have a few doubts that hopefully you can help me out with:

1. I've bought a ticket for the Budapest Opera. I've seen the weather for this weekend will be very sunny and hot. That's why I've decided to bring bermudas only.

Will they allow me inside the Opera with bermudas and a t-shirt? (I paid like 7 euros for the ticket!) Is there a dress code I should know of?

2. I plan on visiting the Szechenyi Bath and Spa.

- Out of Friday, Saturday and Sunday... which would you say is the best day and TIME to visit?

- I read a swimming cap is required for the swimming pool... can you rent one there? or you must bring one with you?

- I don't plan on getting a VIP cabin. Are there also lockers for the people paying the basic fee?

- If I decide to bring my hand luggage (a regular low-cost airline trolley), can I store it there? Are the lockers too small? Or can I pay more for a larger one where my trolley fits?

Thank you very much!!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

Hello elkev2,

I can shed light on the opera. As a season ticket holder, I see people dressed in all different manners. Some/most dressed nice, whether that be a suit jacket or dress, or appropriate pants and a nice shirt. Others however show less respect to the surroundings by wearing t-shirts, jeans, etc. Unless a more formal occasion, I typically dress business casual with a jacket, open collared-shirt and pants. Some dress more formally, others less so.

My thought is by you asking the question, you understand that your dress while will likely not keep you from getting in, will not be the style one might suggest for the opera. While it may be warm in Budapest, the opera is typically not hot inside.

I say respect the Opera House and wear a collared shirt and appropriate pants (I'm not certain what bermudas are).

Best,

Jeremy

Madrid, Spain
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

Hi Jeremy, Thanks for the reply.

By bermudas, I meant shorts.

I see this outfit would be inappropriate.

Don't think my small trolley will hold more clothes, especially a one-time use nice trouser, but at least I'll bring a nice shirt with me. And nice jeans too ;)

Do you know about the Spa?

Hopefully something can help me out with this too.

Thank you!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

In the US I typically do not dress up for the opera unless I am seated in a box or the main floor. Same in Vienna. For the upcoming Rosenkavalier performance I will wear a collared shirt with short sleeves and a pair of casual slacks. But I am sitting in the upper gallery and for a lengthy opera I like to be comfortable.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,773 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

For this

"I read a swimming cap is required for the swimming pool... can you rent one there? or you must bring one with you?"

You only need a swimming cap in the lap pool, not in the other two. We spent an entire afternoon there without caps or going into the lap pool and didn't feel we missed anything.

Pjk

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

If you want to look like the "skunk at the wedding" certainly wear your t-shirt and Bermuda shorts. But for about 3,000HuF you could buy a pair of cheap slacks and collared shirt and fit right in at the intermission in the grand lobby. You could also wear these at the Baszilica, churches and other places of interest where you might otherwise not be so welcomed.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

Bermuda shorts are actually a form of dress attire, most often worn in Bermuda with a jacket and tie. Worn as they are in Bermuda would actually make you among the more formally dressed at the Opera, but it wouldn't stop you from being a seeming oddity and drawing stares...

www.bermuda-online.org/BermudaShorts01.png

Edited: 04 June 2014, 20:32
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

Kilts are also a form of formal attire...elsewhere. Both the shorts and kilts are equally inappropriate at the Hungarian Opera House. Most especially when combined with a t-shirt.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 20:40
nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

I guess we just disagree, quite strongly in this instance. Kilts are indeed formal attire, and both kilts and Bermuda shorts are elements of their respective countries' dress uniforms in their military. I believe that as a matter of diplomatic protocol, a dress uniform is recognized as the equivalent of formal wear throughout the civilized world, and would be totally appropriate at the Opera in my view. But folks would stare...

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

That's kind of the point. People would stare and disapprove. Certainly there are parts of the world where a leopard skin slung over the shoulder is part of a military uniform, but that would not be appropriate at the Hungarian Opera either. This is not a diplomatic event. And, none of this wool gathering is on point. Bermuda shorts (presumably "non-formal") with a t-shirt would be not appropriate. Unless you think a t-shirt with tie and sport coat would be okay.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, World Cup, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent: Opera Dress Code & Accessories for Szechenyi Bath

Hello elkev2

As to your Que. #1 They will let you in the opera dressed in a pair of bermudas and a t-shirt but I agree with Jeremy's advice being the most sound and solid. If you are not able to pack a pair of slacks it would be a good idea to at least to pair your bermudas with a collared shirt rather than just a t-shirt. Again I defer to Jeremy's sage advice as he phrased it "Respect The Opera House"

Que. #2 ~ As for which day is best that is really subjective I say every day is a good day to go to Szechenyi :) .... Weekends tend to be busier as does later in the day. If you seek less crowded then early morning on those days may be what you want to consider if you want to experience the baths when they are full and lively than midday will be the way you want to go.. it is really going to be up to you.

PJK answered your swim cap question perfectly IMHO but if you really feel the need for one you can rent one.

The last 2 parts of your question ... yes there are lockers but since you mention you will have a small piece of luggage with you (small can be a matter of opinion) and depending on its size for just a small amount more you may just want to opt for a cabin instead of a locker see the price difference here: http://www.szechenyibath.hu/prices

Enjoy the city, the opera and the fine waters.

SEBESZ

Edited: 05 June 2014, 03:42