We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
576 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

I'm trying to purchase two one-way tickets, Budapest~Vienna. I got to the checkout point where it shows the details of the tickets. It looks like the seats are automatically assigned; we have 102 & 108. Would these seats be together, or are we able to pick out our seats on the website before purchase? I can't seem to find a seating chart or anywhere to choose your own seats, and I'm hoping my husband & I can sit together for this journey!

Thanks-

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
7,752 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

I can only speak for my own experience -- I have never found a way to specify seats on the website, and the seats I've been assigned have sometimes had numbers that made me fear they were far apart, but when I got to the train they were actually closer to each other than if I had chosen by guessing at adjacent numbers (and I've also always found people happy to move around to keep parties together as best as possible). GCEK, isn't there somewhere online that has seating charts?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

I looked into this at a station once and the closest I could figure is that the confusion comes into play because of the table seating arrangement.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

Hello DiverMom18

Unfortunately no on line you can't pick your seats but usually as mentioned they are assigned as close to each other as possible when booking.

Also when you get on the train you can sit anywhere you want that is not already reserved

Best

SEBESZ

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
576 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

Thanks everyone. Sounds great! I'm grateful I was able to easily purchase the discount tickets in advance, but was curious about the seating.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,986 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

You will be assigned seats free of charge, but you aren't obliged to sit in them :)

Here is a seating plan for you: stscms.com/FileUpload/…Railjet_seat_map.pdf

Seats 102 and 108 are next to each other

Edited: 09 June 2014, 23:53
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
576 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

Thanks, GCEK - for some reason, I just knew I'd get just the right answer from you!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,986 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

Happy to help, but the others above did all the hard work :)

8. Re: Can you choose your train seat on MAV online website?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16