We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelenfoe Station

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Kelenfoe Station

My wife and I will be arriving in Budapest by train from Vienna in mid July and we see that the train arrives at Keleti Station - so far so good as we know Keleti having been to Budapest last year.

I note from our return tickets/itinerary that our train to Vienna now leaves from Kelenfoe station which I think is new but about which we know nothing. We are travelling with OBB RailJet.

Could some kind person in TripAdvisorland please give us the benefit of any advice or experience that they may have had, please?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kelenfoe Station

Hello YM-Mundrabilla,

Kelenföld station is located on the Buda side and can be reached by the M4 Metro line. While the physical station is quite small with virtually no amenities, there are 8ish train lines/platforms. The station is easily manageable and quite easy to understand with a large board advising which platform your train is stopping....

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kelenfoe Station

All trains commence at Keleti - get on the train there. Don't worry about the Kelenfold bit, that is just a station that it passes through on the way from Keleti and stops for about a minute to let on any passengers that might be there.

However, which date are you travelling? It may be that the train exceptionally commences at Kelenfold, but probably best to check. I don't think that would be the case, though.

It might have been cheaper to have bought the return part of your ticket from MÁV Hungarian railways as it only costs from €13, but the difference in price is only €6 through OEBB (Austrian Railways). BTW you pick your tickets up from a machine in Vienna as unlike most you can't print these ones off at at home. You will have been sent instructions on how to do this when you booked.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kelenfoe Station

Thanks Jeremy.

Just that we 'know' Keleti having used it several times before and we are just a bit nervous. If possible we like to join the train where it originates and so have plenly of time to find our carriage etc.

regards

YM

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kelenfoe Station

Many thanks GCEK as I said to Jeremy it's just that we 'know' Keleti having used it several times before and we are just a bit nervous.

If possible we like to join the train where it originates and so have plenly of time to find our carriage etc.

We are leaving Budapest on Thursday 24 July by train No. 64 ex Kelenfoe at 1124 (ex Keleti at about 1110 according to the OBB timetable).

Do you see any problem in us fronting at Keleti, at our own risk of course, please

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kelenfoe Station

I looked at that date on the Hungarian railways timetable and there are no issues that mean that the train doesn't start at Keleti - it only stops for one minute at Kelenfold, plus you have got the find your way there.

There would be no problem/risk at all. I don't know why OEBB did your return ticket from Kelenfold - you DID buy it from www.oebb.at/en I hope! If so, you will need to print out your tickets from a machine in Vienna.

For future reference, Budapest - Vienna is best bought from http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php where tickets cost from €13 - on your date of travel there are still plenty at that price. Guide for purchasing europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

Just in case, if you use third party agencies such as Rail Plus/Rail Europe/travel agent you will tend to pay typically 100% more than the real price and they regularly give out duff information. Don't use them.

6. Re: Kelenfoe Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 19:10
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kelenfoe Station

Hi,

In continuation of the topic, I have the similar sort of query, we will be reaching from Zagreb on 26th May around 4.30 PM, our ticket says Kelefoe as destination station booked from Rail europe.Train Eurocites 201,

Can we continue to Keleti station with the same ticket as Keleti is in the town, first trip to Budapest,so need your help.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kelenfoe Station

The train 201 Agram terminates at Kelenföld. Are you aware that you will have to switch to a bus between Szántód-Kőröshegy and Lepsény, due to track recounstruction?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kelenfoe Station

No...no idea...kindly explain me in details...also need to know which part of Budapest ( buda or pest) we should stay, we will be there for one & half days to enjoy Budapest only...pl note we will take early morning train to Prague from Keleti.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kelenfoe Station

Well, since the railway tracks are being reconstructed, you will have to get off at Szántód-Kőröshegy station, you will be bussed to Lepsény, and there you can board a train again.

Had you booked with the train operator, you would have been told this.

http://elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/uf

Also, your train will terminate at Kelenföld, so it wont go further in the city, so you cant go to Keleti with it. You can get with the new M4 metro line deeper into the city.