We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

Hello

I have a 3 hrs layover between my two trains from 20h00 to 23h00,at Budapest-Keleti.

I need to buy some food/drink's, are there nearby the train station grocery store/supermarket please ?

Merci

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
799 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

There's a mediun sized Spar supermarket on Thököly út (road running along northern side of the station) on the corner opposite a KFC. Leave the station by the front main entrance, turn right, cross the main road and its to your right. Its maybe 100m from the station.

Its open until 22h00 on weekdays, but only 19h30 / 19h00 Sat / Sunday.

If its closed your best bet is walking in the opposite direction along Rákóczi út towards the city centre, along which you should find some small late night shops (best to ask a local). Think there is also a small co-op grocery store if you turn left from the main station exit, straight across the road, but I don't know its hours.

The area in front of and to the side of Keleti was still much of a building site last year, but I guess that with Metro 4 now open it will be very much tidied up ...

St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

Hello Laura

Ok thank you, I will check and as you said, ask the local.

Merci

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

You can always go to the Tesco.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

ok where are they and do they sell alcool as well ?

Merci

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

It's a Tesco...they sell everything from TVs to bicycle tires, girls dresses...and booze. Go here for the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/tesco+budapest+location/@47.4812134,19.1303031,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!2m4!3m3!1stesco!2sBudapest,+Hungary!3s0x4741c334d1d4cfc9:0x400c4290c1e1160

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
799 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

Tesco Arena Plaza, its just under a 1km walk from the station (maybe a bit too much there and back even with light luggage ?).

Trolley bus 80 / 80a (stops just south of the station) gets you there in one stop. Its open till 24h00 every day.

I'd forgotten about that one as I normally use the Tesco Extra on Fogarasi út which I think is a bit bigger, and also on the 80 trolley route.

7. Re: 3 hrs layover at the Train Station, questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:16