We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

Hi! I will be taking my first solo travel in Budapest in September! I'm wondering if 1 week in Budapest is too long? I was thinking of taking the bus or night train going to Krakow and vice versa for 3 or 4 days there (including the transportation time)...

I am more interested in photography and nature than history and culture, though I do appreciate the nice buildings and castles and churches of Budapest, but I probably won't go inside each building. So far, some of the places I've read that seems interesting are Margaret Island, Parliament, State Opera House, Castle Hill, Matthias Church, Fisherman's Bastion, Vajdahunyadvár Castle, St. Stephen's Basilica, House of terror seems interesting but feels depressing.

Oh and I guess going to a thermal bath is a must-do? Which one can you suggest?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,262 posts
5,503 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

Hello (Kamusta) emem83,

Welcome to the Budapest forum.

Difficult to say precisely if 8 days is too much for you without knowing you personally. A lot depends on how comprehensively you like to visit cities. Many who post regularly on this forum will happily tell you that 8 days is not too much at all if you love this place. Others will suggest 3-4 days might be enough and that you should consider visiting another one of central Europe's great cities in the area, especially if you are not a regular traveller to Europe.

Also, nothing against Krakow but I might suggest Vienna or Prague instead. Just a personal preference and there is more to do/see in these cities instead.

If you like photography there are some lovely art nouveau architecture and decor in Budapest. The Liberty Bridge, specifically is one of my favourite structures in central Europe. It is just lovely. Also, views across the Danube in the evening and at night are very good. Prague is also a highly photogenic city, if this is a particular hobby of yours.

Anyway, hope this is useful and that you enjoy your visit to central Europe.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
183 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

Hello emem83, I am sure you will receive many varied answers to your question. As BradJill mentioned, I am one who would love to be able to spend more days than 8 in Budapest. Exploring the City and surrounding areas you should be able to fill your days. The Danube Bend is a nice trip out of Budapest and can offer some wonderful photographic opportunities.

The House of Terror is set up as to inform you of what was happening and while you come out feeling down a bit it should not deter you from going.

We go to Rudas bath for the exprerience of a true bath and then head over to Széchenyi for a fun afternoon or evening depending on how we feel.

Krakow is nice city to visit, maybe a 2 day stay, but if you can squeeze in Prague, I feel everyone should see it if they can.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

8 days is not long enough, but it is important to visit Krakow. It all depends on what you want to do. I spent 5 days in Krakow but I hired a private guide for two days for a Jewish Tour and a visit to Auschwitz-Birkenou. So it depends on your objectives. I also visited Prague with out a guide, many beautiful places to photograph. My first trip to Budapest was 3 days, my second was 4 weeks and currently 9 weeks. It is a great city, great ops for photos, and the Pest side is flat and very walkable. At night it is a photographers dream with all the city lights.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
613 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

We spent 7 days and did not see half of the things we expected to see. We went to the castle and there was a fair going on. Suddenly we were there for hours enjoying the vendors, the dance exhibition, sampling palinka, looking at the view to the parliament and more. The time flew by. We went to Margaret Island and that turned into hours of fun. Who knew there would be a peacock showing off or a pony begging for a pony snack or the dancing fountains luring us in. Again, hours of fun floated by. We went to Szechenyi Baths and we loved the "washing machine" circular whirl-about and then there is a bar! Again, hours evaporated. So, I guess my answer is dependent upon whether you want to enjoy things in depth or take a photo as you walk by.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 22:46
Budapest, Hungary
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

I just spent two weeks in Vienna and was sad to leave- the train between the two is 2.5 hours, so a side trip to Vienna is always an option! I have just been here in Budapest two days- so far lovely place, and there is easily enough to do for 10 days, but depends on your interests, I am a strong swimmer, so I can spend a lot of time swimming and feel like it was time well spent. The pools are beautiful so far- today was Gellert spa- pools were not too crowded and the massage was very good. But for me the best part was the tile and stained glass- the pool-catherdral feel of the building. It is hard to convey, so I guess you will just have to visit!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
96 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

Eight days in Budapest sounds majestic. Personally, I was very disappointed with Vienna. Spend those couple of "Vienna days" on day trips from Budapest. Hopping a train or bus along the Danube is an option -- more flexibility renting a car for 24 hours if you want to do some good photography. The hills and mountains of Buda and along the Danube Bend through Esztergom provide wonderful vista and subjects to photograph.

Buda side of the Danube in the outskirts of Budapest are some Roman ruins. Less well known are the Roman ruins, originally settled by the Celts, at Gorsium about 7 miles outside of Szekesfehervar (closed on Mondays).Tihany Abbey on Lake Balaton.

There is so much in Budapest -- the baths, coffee culture, religious and historical sights, monuments, vibrant feel.

7. Re: Is 8 days in Budapest too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16