We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 World Cup - Where Best to Watch in Budapest?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
2014 World Cup - Where Best to Watch in Budapest?

Hi All,

The World Cup is in full-swing and Budapest has done a great job in converting multiple public squares into "living rooms" where you can enjoy the matches. Earlier this week I watched Brazil-Mexico at Szabadsag ter with about 1000 other futebal fans - and had a great time. The square has a wonderful - high definition (and large) screen and is lined with drink and food vendors.

Here's a list of fun places to watch via Xpatloop - http://www.xpatloop.com/news/77347

Enjoy!

Jeremy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 World Cup - Where Best to Watch in Budapest?

@ Jeremy F

WOW!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to give everyone the heads up. I am so very sure this will come in handy for many visiting the city who are avid football fans and even those who may not be and just want to get out and mix.

May I ask did you choose Szabadsag ter for your viewing purposes for a particular reason (comfort, viewing experience etc. etc.) or was it a proximity thing. Are any of the above listed viewing options geared towards a more younger crowd or are they all in general geared at a wide range of people attending.

Thanks again so much for the heads up

SEBESZ

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 World Cup - Where Best to Watch in Budapest?

great last minute goal by brooks against Ghana Jeremy

I fear England could be in trouble tonight,but it was a lot of fun watching matches at the weekend

the corinthia had a roof top terrace,bar and grill all set up for the games,it was a lot of fun up there

cheers tony

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,003 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 World Cup - Where Best to Watch in Budapest?

Every two years the Hemingway Society holds a conference someplace in the world he lived or wrote about. In IIRC 2006 it was held in Ronda (think For Whom the Bell Tolls) It is always scheduled around his birthday which falls within the rounds of the World Cup. In Ronda, since Spain was in the tournament, every bar, no matter the size, had put up a TV screen so that patrons and even just passers-by could watch. You could tell if Spain scored just by listening for cheers. But then Spain was knocked out and everyone took down their TVs. I thought the Germans were going to start a war when they realized this.

Venice this year.

Pjk

4. Re: 2014 World Cup - Where Best to Watch in Budapest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:17