We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

8 posts
Save Topic
Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

So we travel by train to Prague>Brno>Bratislava>Budapest>Back to Prague to catch a flight back home. Here are our questions

1.Where should we buy train tickets? Websites vs Train Station?

2. Is it cheaper to buy online ahead of time?

3. What other tips do you have?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

Prague-Brno-Bratislava do by bus www.Studentagency.eu then Bratislava to Budapest buy when you are there €17.50 return, and Budapest back to Prague best by night train from €29 in couchette, or €49 in sleeper - that should be bought in advance. Information is under 'top questions ' to the right on this page.

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

Hello everybody.

what about taking the bus? does it make sense or it isn't worth it? I bought a ticket from prague to budapest thinking It was cheaper ......... could It be a sound advice to give?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

If you paid €19 for Prague to Budapest on the train then you can't get cheaper than that. The bus is a good alternative if the discounted tickets have sold out for the train that you want.

For some routes, e.g. Prague - Brno/Brno - Bratislava/Prague - Vienna then the bus is cheaper and sometimes quicker and more convenient.

It depends what you like - the bus has things like free wi-fi and in-seat movies studentagency.cz/jizdenky/videa/index.html some prefer the train, some the bus.

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

Hello.

I paid 25 for the bus.......mainly because ( i maybe worng) I took for granted that it was cheaper than the train and with more local scenary.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

The scenery is neither here nor there whichever you choose, it's all pretty much the same. But you get more for your money on the bus.

sicilia
Level Contributor
486 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

thanks gcek...at least I haven't paid more for a longer journey.

thanks again.

laura

7. Re: Budapest to Prague by train....Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17